Solve Diving Bell Problem: Find Height of Water Rise in Bell

• Thread starter d_morales97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bell
In summary, a cylindrical diving bell with dimensions 3.4 m in diameter and 4.5 m tall is submerged to a depth of 148 m in the ocean. The temperature of the air at the surface is 22C and decreases to 6.3C at 148 m down. Using the Combined Law, the volume of the trapped air can be determined, and from there, the height of the sea water inside the bell can be calculated.
d_morales97
A cylindrical diving bell 3.4 m in diameter
and 4.5 m tall with an open bottom is sub-
merged to a depth of 148 m in the ocean.
The temperature of the air at the surface is
22C, and the air’s temperature 148 m down
is 6.3C.
How high does the sea water rise in the bell
when the bell is submerged? The density of
sea water is 1025 kg/m3 and the acceleration
due to gravity is 9.81 m/s2 .

I've done the work while viewing at another post about this same type of problem, but keep coming up with an incorrect answer and it's frustrating... Wondering if anyone could help?

So to start, you need the height of the bell MINUS the height of the water inside the bell, I beleive? The height of the water inside the bell requires the volume of that space, and this is where I'm having problems. So to find the volume, I'm using the Combined Law P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2. I just need to know how to start these types of problems and tips on how to work them.. Not looking for answers, I'm looking for procedures. Thanks in advance if anyone can help a struggling guy out!

~ Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you start the problem this way: Assume the diving bell is lowered perfectly evenly so that at the surface, the open rim at the bottom makes contact at all points with the surface of the water. This traps a known volume of air having the stated surface conditions. Further, assume that this air trapped at the surface changes volume and temperature to keep the diving bell from flooding as it is lowered to its final depth.

Related to Solve Diving Bell Problem: Find Height of Water Rise in Bell

1. How does the diving bell problem relate to real-life situations?

The diving bell problem is a mathematical problem that helps us understand how pressure affects objects submerged in a fluid. This concept is used in various fields, including diving, engineering, and physics.

2. What is the diving bell problem and why is it important to solve?

The diving bell problem involves finding the height of water rise in a bell when it is submerged in a fluid. It is important to solve because it helps us understand the relationship between pressure and volume in a closed system.

3. What are the key factors that affect the height of water rise in a diving bell?

The key factors that affect the height of water rise in a diving bell are the volume of the bell, the density of the fluid, and the depth of submergence. These factors can be used to calculate the height of water rise using mathematical formulas.

4. How can the diving bell problem be solved?

The diving bell problem can be solved using various mathematical formulas, such as Archimedes' principle and Pascal's law. These formulas take into account the factors that affect the height of water rise in a diving bell and provide a solution.

5. What are some applications of the diving bell problem in modern technology?

The diving bell problem has many applications in modern technology, including in the design of submarines, pressure vessels, and deep-sea exploration equipment. It is also used in the study of oceanography and meteorology to understand the effects of pressure on the ocean and atmosphere.