Solve Diffraction Grating for Red & Blue Light [URGENT]

In summary, the question involves calculating the line density of a diffraction grating in order for the second maximum of blue light to coincide with the first maximum of red light. Using the standard diffraction grating formula and given values for the wavelengths and line density of the red light, the line density for the diffraction grating was found to be 7282.6 lines/cm.
InSpiRatioNy
Diffraction Grating? [URGENT]

Homework Statement

Consider two monochromatic sources of light, blue light of wavelength λb = 460 nm and red light of wavelength 670 nm. The red light is shun upon a diffraction grating of density, nr = 10,000 lines per cm. A diffraction grating with what line density (lines/cm) is required to have the 2nd maximum (m=2) of blue light coincide with the 1stmaximum (m=1) of red light?

Homework Equations

...I don't really know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't have a clue, i don't even know relavant equations!

Please help. THanks

Physics news on Phys.org

InSpiRatioNy said:
I really don't have a clue, i don't even know relavant equations!
Have you read your course text or class notes?

Standard diffraction grating formula:

[tex]a(sin\theta_i + sin\theta_m) = m\lambda[/tex]
where,
[tex]a = \frac{1}{N}[/tex]

theta_i and theta_m are incident and m'th diffracted angles respectively. (Though you don't need them).
Form two equations and solve for N.

I'll leave you to it. I'm off to bed :biggrin:

I'm confused, what are theta then? And how should I fit all values of the red and blue light in this formula?

Don't overthink this question - it is simpler than you think.
You're told that m=2 for one wavelength must lie on m=1 for another wavelength. (Therefore theta_m will be the same for both wavelengths).
(Note also the incident angles are the same because you assume the sources are collinear).

Form 2 diffraction grating equations given the known variables. Solve for the missing N.

I got 7282.6, if it's right...

InSpiRatioNy said:
I got 7282.6, if it's right...

lines/cm.
It's what I got too.:smile:

Okay Thanks!

Related to Solve Diffraction Grating for Red & Blue Light [URGENT]

1. How does a diffraction grating work?

A diffraction grating is a device that uses a series of parallel lines or slits to separate light into its component wavelengths. When light passes through the grating, it is diffracted or bent at different angles depending on its wavelength, resulting in a spectrum of colors.

2. What is the equation for solving diffraction grating?

The equation for solving diffraction grating is d sinθ = mλ, where d is the distance between the lines in the grating, θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the diffraction, and λ is the wavelength of the light.

3. How do you determine the distance between the lines in a diffraction grating?

The distance between the lines in a diffraction grating can be determined by measuring the distance between two adjacent bright spots in the diffracted light pattern. This distance is equal to the wavelength of the light divided by the order of the diffraction.

4. Why is it important to use different colors of light when solving for a diffraction grating?

The diffraction angle and spacing of the lines in a grating depends on the wavelength of the light passing through it. Therefore, using different colors of light allows for a more accurate determination of the grating's properties and can also help to identify any errors in the experimental setup.

5. Can diffraction gratings be used to analyze other types of radiation?

Yes, diffraction gratings can be used to analyze other types of radiation, including X-rays, microwaves, and radio waves. The same principles of diffraction apply, but the calculations and measurements may differ depending on the type of radiation being analyzed.