Solve Damping & Forced Oscillations Problems: Frequency, Amplitude & More

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding damping and forced oscillations, specifically in the context of a homework problem involving a hanging object and a sinusoidal force. The individual was having trouble selecting the appropriate equations to use and was seeking clarification on the equations for these types of problems. The expert suggested using the forced oscillation equation and incorporating the external force equation to find the period and amplitude of the oscillation.
k0b3
I was hoping someone could explain damping and forced oscillations. I had a couple of problems I could not do that revolved around these topics because I couldn't figure out which equations to use. Here's an example.

1. Homework Statement
Damping is negligible for a 0.155 kg object hanging from a light 6.30 N/m spring. A sinusoidal force with an amplitude of 1.70 N drives the system. At what frequency will the force make the object vibrate with an amplitude of 0.440 m?

Give higher and lower frequencies.

2. Homework Equations
For this I used the forced oscillation equation which is basically

Amplitude = (Fo/m)/(sqrt ((w^2 - wo^2)^2 + (damping)^2))

3. The Attempt at a Solution
So since it said damping was negligible, the damping part is 0. For wo (omega initial), I used sqrt (k/m) and plugged that in. Fo was given at 1.70N and mass was also given. I solved for omega (two different answers because it is squared) and I got 3.96Hz for the upper but it wasn't correct.

I was hoping also someone could basically explain what equation is used for these types of problems. There is another one where mass, an equation for external force (F= 3sin(2pit)) and spring constant are given and it asks to find period, amplitude, etc. How do I incorporate the external force? I think this problem and the org problem are hand in hand so if I can figure out one, I can do the other. Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you used is correct for this problem. Remember, since damping is negligible, the damping term in the equation is zero. The equation for the external force is F = F(t) = F0*sin(wt). You can also use this equation to find the period and amplitude of the oscillation. The period is given by T = 2*pi/w and the amplitude is given by A = F0/mw^2.

I can explain the concepts of damping and forced oscillations and how to approach these types of problems.

Damping refers to the gradual decrease in the amplitude of an oscillating system over time due to external factors such as friction or air resistance. In the case of negligible damping, the amplitude of the oscillation remains constant over time.

Forced oscillations occur when an external force is applied to an oscillating system, causing it to vibrate at a specific frequency. The amplitude of the oscillation is determined by the amplitude and frequency of the external force.

To solve problems involving damping and forced oscillations, the equation you used is correct. This is the equation for forced oscillations, where the amplitude is dependent on the external force, mass, and damping.

For the example given, you correctly identified that the damping is negligible and used the equation to solve for the frequency that would result in an amplitude of 0.440 m. However, it is important to note that there are two possible frequencies for this scenario, as you have found.

To find the lower frequency, you can use the equation w = sqrt(wo^2 - (damping)^2), where wo represents the initial frequency. Plugging in the values given, you should get a lower frequency of 3.82 Hz. This is because the damping term is subtracted from the initial frequency to get the new frequency.

To incorporate the external force into the equation, you can simply substitute the value for the external force (F) into the equation as Fo. So the final equation would be Amplitude = (F/m)/(sqrt ((w^2 - wo^2)^2 + (damping)^2)). You can then solve for the other variables as needed.

Similarly, for the other problem, you can use the same equation and substitute the values given for mass and spring constant. The external force, F = 3sin(2pit), can be substituted as Fo in the equation.

In summary, to solve problems involving damping and forced oscillations, you can use the equation for forced oscillations and substitute the given values for mass, damping, and external force to solve for the unknown variables. Remember to consider both the upper and lower frequencies for the given scenario.

Related to Solve Damping & Forced Oscillations Problems: Frequency, Amplitude & More

What is damping in oscillations?

Damping is the gradual decrease in the amplitude of an oscillation over time. It is caused by energy dissipation due to friction or other forces.

How is damping coefficient related to oscillations?

The damping coefficient determines the rate at which the amplitude of an oscillation decreases. A higher damping coefficient results in faster damping and a lower amplitude, while a lower damping coefficient results in slower damping and a higher amplitude.

What is the relationship between frequency and amplitude in forced oscillations?

In forced oscillations, the amplitude of the oscillation depends on the frequency of the driving force. As the frequency of the driving force approaches the natural frequency of the system, the amplitude of the oscillation increases.

How do you solve for the natural frequency of a damped oscillator?

The natural frequency of a damped oscillator can be found by taking the square root of the ratio of the spring constant to the mass of the object, multiplied by the damping coefficient.

What is the difference between underdamped, critically damped, and overdamped oscillations?

Underdamped oscillations occur when the damping coefficient is less than the critical damping coefficient, resulting in oscillations with a decreasing amplitude. Critically damped oscillations occur when the damping coefficient is equal to the critical damping coefficient, resulting in the quickest approach to equilibrium without oscillations. Overdamped oscillations occur when the damping coefficient is greater than the critical damping coefficient, resulting in oscillations with a very slow approach to equilibrium.