Solve Crime Scene Problem: Find Velocity of Bullet

• Thread starter dustinxcollapse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    crime
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a bullet that has been fired and enters a victim's head. The knowns include the mass, velocity, and acceleration of the bullet, as well as the acceleration due to gravity. The unknowns are the time and force involved in the bullet's trajectory. The conversation includes calculations and assumptions about the bullet's velocity and deceleration, but ultimately concludes that there is not enough information to determine a precise answer.
dustinxcollapse
I was thinking up a physics problem and could someone help me find the answer to it.

Someone has committed suicided at a crime scene and this is what they know.

Knowns
Mass of Bullet: 0.05 kg
Velocity of Bullet: 1500 m/s
Acceleration of Bullet: -3.08 m/s2
Acceleration due to gravity: 9.80 m/s2
Unknowns
T=?
Fp=?

What is the velocity of the bullet the instant it enters the victims head if the gun is held 0.2 meters away?

/i\Fn=4.9 x 10-1
l
<-------------l----->Fp= ? N
l
\l/ Fg= 4.9 x 10-1

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it your "Acceleration of Bullet: -3.08 m/s2" is horizontal decelleration due to air resistance?

Horizontally, v= 1500- 3.08 t m/s
x= 1500t- 1.54t2 m (distance bullet has gone)

Just as the bullet is "entering the victim's head", x= 1500- 15.4t2= 0.2
Solve for x to find t.

Vertically, v= -9.8 t

Knowing t, you can solve from the horizontal and vertical components of the bullet's velocity and then use Pythagoras to find the speed of the bullet.

I'd consider the velocity of the bullet to be 1500 m/s. 0,2 m is way to short a distance for any signifficant change in velocity given a retardation of only 3,08 m/s^2.

Just don't you go do anything stupid..

HallsofIvy said:
I take it your "Acceleration of Bullet: -3.08 m/s2" is horizontal decelleration due to air resistance?

I'd consider the retardation to be along the direction of the bullets' motion. It's an iteresting problem, still I think there's to little information to say anything more precise than ~1500 m/s

Related to Solve Crime Scene Problem: Find Velocity of Bullet

1. How do you determine the velocity of a bullet at a crime scene?

The velocity of a bullet at a crime scene can be determined using a technique called "ballistics analysis". This involves measuring the distance the bullet traveled, the angle of the trajectory, and the weight and caliber of the bullet. This information is then used to calculate the velocity using mathematical equations.

2. What tools are used to measure the velocity of a bullet?

There are a few different tools that can be used to measure the velocity of a bullet at a crime scene. These include chronographs, which use sensors to measure the time it takes for a bullet to pass through a set distance, and Doppler radar, which measures changes in frequency as the bullet passes through the radar beam. Other tools include high-speed cameras and laser measuring devices.

3. Can the velocity of a bullet be affected by external factors?

Yes, the velocity of a bullet can be affected by a number of external factors such as wind, air resistance, and the type of surface it impacts. These factors can cause variations in the bullet's trajectory and speed, making it important for investigators to consider them when analyzing the crime scene and calculating the velocity of the bullet.

4. How accurate is the velocity measurement of a bullet at a crime scene?

The accuracy of the velocity measurement of a bullet at a crime scene can vary depending on the tools and techniques used, as well as the conditions of the crime scene. However, with advanced technology and careful analysis, it is possible to determine the velocity of a bullet with a high degree of accuracy, usually within a few feet per second.

5. What other information can be gathered from analyzing the velocity of a bullet at a crime scene?

By analyzing the velocity of a bullet at a crime scene, investigators can also gather information about the type of gun used, the distance between the shooter and the victim, and the potential trajectory of the bullet. This information can help narrow down suspects and provide valuable evidence in solving the crime.