Solve Complex Equation with Mathematica/Excel

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, Dale is a computer scientist who uses Mathematica to solve equations. He suggested that the computer scientists learn Mathematica so that they can solve equations more easily. However, he said that they may want to use a different program, such as VBA, if they are not familiar with Mathematica.
Saladsamurai
I have been struggling to solve the following for over a month now. If you have any ideas, feel free to advise.

I am using Mathematica (I am about to try this in MATLAB).

I have an equation that is literally a page long. I use MATHEMATICA to solve the equation for a particular variable of interest.

I now have an expression for that variable. I need to plug that expression into Excel, but as you know, if you Copy/Paste from Mathematica to a txt file, you get either MarkUp Langauge or some other Gobblety-gok...

For example if I solve 2ZX=7Y for Y in Mathematica, it will make the answer 'pretty' like this:
[itex]Y=\frac{2}{7}ZX[/itex] when i need it to come out like this: Y=(1/2)*Z*X

Similarly, exponents should be outputted like this X^7 instead of X7.

Any ideas?

I was thinking of using MATLAB instead. Won't the output come out as desired if I use it instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a product called Mathematica Link for Excel. But what can you do in Excel that you can't in Mathematica?

We (my work) build all of our 'calculators' in VBA as prototypes and then send them off for JAVA development.

The JAVA guys (computer scientists) don't know Mathematica and us Engineers aren't exactly JAVA wizards.

VBA is a nice compromise.

The computer scientists should learn Mathematica. It should be easy for them to learn, after all it is part of their skillset to be able to learn new languages quickly.

However, in order to parse a long equation without making it pretty try "InputForm" or even "FullForm".

DaleSpam said:
The computer scientists should learn Mathematica. It should be easy for them to learn, after all it is part of their skillset to be able to learn new languages quickly.

However, in order to parse a long equation without making it pretty try "InputForm" or even "FullForm".

It's a coorparation, so I'll send that on up the ladder :smile:

Do you know what settings that is under by chance? I am not terribly familiar with Mathematica. I usually don't need symbolic, so I use MATLAB.

Thanks again :smile:

Oh..I get it. It's a Function! And it works Brilliantly!

Thank you so much DaleSpam

Excellent, glad it helped!

Saladsamurai said:
It's a coorparation, so I'll send that on up the ladder :smile:
Hehe, while you are at it be sure to ask for the address where I should send my invoice for consulting services :smile:

Related to Solve Complex Equation with Mathematica/Excel

What is Mathematica/Excel?

Mathematica and Excel are both powerful software programs used for mathematical and statistical calculations. Mathematica is a comprehensive computer algebra system, while Excel is a spreadsheet program.

What types of equations can be solved with Mathematica/Excel?

Both Mathematica and Excel can solve a wide range of equations, including linear equations, polynomial equations, differential equations, and systems of equations. They can also handle complex numbers and perform symbolic calculations.

How do I input an equation into Mathematica/Excel?

In Mathematica, equations can be entered using standard mathematical notation or using the input palette. In Excel, equations are entered into cells using the standard mathematical operators and functions.

Can Mathematica/Excel handle large or complex equations?

Yes, both Mathematica and Excel have the ability to handle large and complex equations. Mathematica has advanced algorithms and built-in functions specifically designed for solving complex equations, while Excel has the option to use add-ins or external libraries for more complex calculations.

Do I need programming experience to use Mathematica/Excel for solving equations?

Some basic programming knowledge may be helpful for using advanced features in Mathematica and Excel, but it is not necessary for solving equations. Both programs have user-friendly interfaces that allow for easy input and solving of equations without any programming experience.