Solve Chemistry Gas Laws Homework: V1/T1 = v2/T2

In summary, when a calm person with a lung capacity of 3.5L and a body temperature of 36C gets angry, their lung volume will increase to 3.79L if their body temperature rises to 39C. However, it is important to use absolute temperature in gas law calculations.
student54321

Homework Statement

People who are angry sometimes say that the feel as if they will explode. If a calm person with a lung capacity of 3.5L and a body temp of 36C gets angry, what will the volume of the persons lungs be if their temp rises to 39C.

Homework Equations

V1/T1 = v2/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it like this:
Declared variables; v1=3.5L, v2 = *?*, T1 = 36C, T2=39C

put them into the formula; 39(3.5) = 36(V2)
and ended up getting 3.79L instead of the correct answer which is 3.53L.

Obviously I have zero idea of what I am doing if I get an answer wrong. Only answer if you understand what you're talking about. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When using gas laws, you should always use absolute temperature (temperature in kelvins)! Otherwise, the way you set up the calculation is correct.

Related to Solve Chemistry Gas Laws Homework: V1/T1 = v2/T2

1. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to V1/T1 = V2/T2?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n) of a gas. It is given by the equation PV = nRT, where R is the ideal gas constant. The equation V1/T1 = V2/T2 is a specific application of the ideal gas law, known as the combined gas law, which relates the initial and final volumes and temperatures of a gas when the pressure and number of moles remain constant.

2. How do I solve for an unknown variable in the equation V1/T1 = V2/T2?

To solve for an unknown variable in the equation V1/T1 = V2/T2, you can use basic algebraic manipulation. For example, if you are solving for V2, you can rearrange the equation to V2 = (V1 x T2) / T1. Make sure to use the correct units for each variable and convert them if necessary.

3. What units should be used when solving problems involving V1/T1 = V2/T2?

The units for volume (V) should be in liters (L) and the units for temperature (T) should be in Kelvin (K). This ensures that the units for the equation are consistent and will yield the correct answer. If the given units are different, remember to convert them before solving the problem.

4. Can the equation V1/T1 = V2/T2 be applied to all gases?

Yes, the combined gas law can be applied to all gases, as long as the pressure and number of moles remain constant. However, it is important to note that the ideal gas law and its applications are most accurate for ideal gases, which follow certain assumptions such as having negligible volume and no intermolecular forces.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct when solving problems involving V1/T1 = V2/T2?

You can check your answer by plugging in your values for V1, T1, V2, and T2 into the equation V1/T1 = V2/T2 and seeing if it yields the correct answer. You can also use the ideal gas law to check your answer, as the combined gas law is derived from it. Additionally, it is always a good idea to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.