Solve Capacitance Problem: 3 Equal Conducting Spheres, Radius a

• Thread starter deloitte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, three conducting spheres of equal radius a are fixed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle of side B. When one sphere, A, is raised to potential V while the other two, B and C, are grounded, the charges on A, B, and C are q, q', and q' respectively. If all three spheres are raised to a different potential V', the charge on each sphere is unknown. The approach of finding capacitance and coefficients of inductances may not work due to the non-uniform charge distribution. A hint is given to consider the spheres as being in series and to write an expression for the charge and potential of capacitors in series.
deloitte
Three equal conducting spheres A B and C of radius a are fixed at the
vertices of an equilateral triangle of side B where b > 2a. When A is
raised to potential V with B and C grounded, the charges on the spheres
are q on A and q' on B and C. if all three were to be raised to some
other potential V', what is the charge on them?

It sounds simple but I can't seem to get it. My first thought was to find the capacitance and coefficients of inductances (i.e. the 'C') by integrating from infinity for arbitrary charges on each sphere but I don't this is the way to go since the charge distribution on the spheres is not uniform. Can someone offer me a small hint as to how I can get started here?

Physics news on Phys.org
well if they are all connected at the ends of single triangle arent they in series.. What can you say about the charge and the potential of capacitors in series?? Can you write an expression for those quantities?

Related to Solve Capacitance Problem: 3 Equal Conducting Spheres, Radius a

1. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of 3 equal conducting spheres?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of 3 equal conducting spheres is C = 4πε₀a, where a is the radius of each sphere and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

2. How do I determine the capacitance if the spheres are not equal in radius?

If the spheres are not equal in radius, the formula for calculating capacitance becomes more complicated. It involves taking into account the distance between each sphere and the permittivity of the material between the spheres. It is best to consult a reference or use a capacitance calculator to determine the capacitance in this case.

3. Can the capacitance of 3 equal conducting spheres be negative?

No, the capacitance of 3 equal conducting spheres cannot be negative. Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electric charge, and it is always a positive value.

4. How does the distance between the spheres affect the capacitance?

The capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the spheres. This means that as the distance increases, the capacitance decreases.

5. What are some real-world applications of the 3 equal conducting spheres capacitance problem?

The 3 equal conducting spheres problem is a simplified model of many real-world situations, such as parallel plate capacitors and multi-electrode capacitors. These types of capacitors are used in electronic circuits, power systems, and telecommunications equipment.