Solve Black Box Circuits w/ Switch & w/o Switch

In summary, The black boxes that the person is experimenting with have two circuits, one with a switch and one without a switch. The purpose of the switch circuit is to get a circuit that the person can rebuild the black box with. TheCircuit without switch produces the same results as the circuit with the switch. The symbol used for the light bulb in the US is different from the symbol used in the UK.
Physdiot
Hi

I'm experimenting with some black boxes and I'm trying to figure out what's their circuit. I can't seem to find what these two circuits could be.. Could someone please help me out?

The purple crosses mark which ports are connected to the power source (6V). The yellow marks show how hard every lamp is burning.

Circuit 1 w/ switch:
circuit-1.png

The second setup shows the lamps when the switch is pushed.

Circuit 2 without switch:
circuit-2.png

The purpose is to get something like this: (this is from another black box I tried)
example.png

If anyone could help me with this, I'd be glad! Thanks!

Attachments

• circuit-1.png
    circuit-1.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 677
  • circuit-2.png
    circuit-2.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 686
  • example.png
    example.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 720
Engineering news on Phys.org
So what is the "Green, Red, Blue"? Are those lights? is that the circuit diagram? I'm not familiar with that notation.

@scottdave They refer to the colors of the ports where you can plug the wires into. The wires are connected to a power supply (6V). The purpose is to get a circuit that you could rebuild the black box with.

Is this a problem you made up yourself?

There is not enough information for us to understand what you mean or what you are trying to accomplish.

I have attached my suggested circuits.
upload_2019-2-16_21-3-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-16_21-3-15.png
    upload_2019-2-16_21-3-15.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 638
OK, the circle with an x is a light bulb. I hadn't seen that used before.

I think both circuits that you have drawn would produce the results that you observed.

scottdave said:
The Wiki article shows it as an incandescent lamp used as an indicator. It is taught to the kids at school in the UK. I don't like the symbol myself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_symbol

Likes davenn
And in the US, the Ladder Diagram used in industrial control schematics shows this for a lamp (although the Switch symbol shown here is rarely seen):

04006.png

from: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/digital/chpt-6/ladder-diagrams/

Attachments

• 04006.png
    04006.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 503
scottdave said:
tech99 said:
The Wiki article shows it as an incandescent lamp used as an indicator. It is taught to the kids at school in the UK.

Yeah, pretty standard here in Australia and New Zealand as well :smile:

Thank you very much all for your replies! Thanks to you guys I was able to solve my problem!

Likes berkeman

Related to Solve Black Box Circuits w/ Switch & w/o Switch

1. How do I solve a black box circuit with a switch?

To solve a black box circuit with a switch, you will need to use a combination of circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and nodal analysis. First, identify the components within the black box and label them accordingly. Then, use the given switch positions to create a circuit diagram and apply the appropriate analysis techniques to solve for the unknown values.

2. What is a black box circuit?

A black box circuit is a circuit where the internal components and connections are unknown or hidden. It is represented by a simple box with input and output terminals. The goal is to determine the behavior and characteristics of the circuit without knowing the specific components inside.

3. Can I solve a black box circuit without a switch?

Yes, black box circuits can be solved without a switch. However, the presence of a switch can change the behavior of the circuit and may require additional analysis to solve. If there is no switch, the circuit can be solved using standard circuit analysis techniques.

4. What are some common components found in black box circuits?

Black box circuits can contain a variety of components such as resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, and transistors. The specific components and their values will vary depending on the circuit's purpose and design.

5. Why are black box circuits used?

Black box circuits are often used in scientific experiments and engineering applications to test and analyze the behavior of a circuit without revealing the internal components. They can also be used to simplify complex circuits and make troubleshooting easier.