Solve Binomial Identities to Approximate Fresnel Zone Radius

In summary, The Fresnel zone radius approximation involves using the binomial theorem and the Taylor series approximation to approximate the value of a function. By retaining the second term of the Taylor series, we can approximate the value of (D^2 + r^2)^(1/2) as D + (r^2)/(2D). The Taylor series is an infinite series that can be used to approximate a function by taking the sum of its derivatives at a certain point and multiplying them by powers of x. The truncated version of this series is called the Taylor series approximation.
mezarashi
Homework Helper
I was going the derivations for Fresnel zone radius approximation, and there was a jump in the math which I don't fully understand. If someone could take a look at this and help me figure. I was hinted that it had to do with the binomial theorem, but I have no idea >.<

Seems like LaTeX isn't working -_-
(D^2 + r^2)^(1/2)
if r << D
( D^2( 1 + (r^2)/(D^2) ) )^(1/2)

D1 + (r^2)/(2D^2) <--- ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's set this in Latex:
[tex](D^{2}+r^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}}=D(1+\epsilon)^{\frac{1}{2}}, \epsilon=(\frac{r}{D})^{2}[/tex]
If we now have [itex]\epsilon<<1[/itex], we have, by retaining the second term of the Taylor series about [itex]\epsilon=0[/itex]:
[tex](1+\epsilon)^{\frac{1}{2}}\approx{1}+\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex]

Thus, you have:
[tex](D^{2}+r^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}}\approx{D}+\frac{r^{2}}{2D}, \frac{r}{D}<<1[/tex]

Last edited:
Hey awesome, thanks. Oh and Latex is working :P
Could you tell me a bit more about this "Taylor series" approximation or a link to its derivation, although I know this is true by punching some test numbers in the calculator. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Okay, about Taylor series:
You know that given f(x) differentiable, you may write it as:
[tex]f(x)=f(0)+\int_{0}^{x}f'(t)dt(1)[/tex]
Now, use partial integration on the integral in the following manner:
[tex]\int_{0}^{x}f'(t)dt=(t-x)f'(t)\mid_{t=0}^{t=x}-\int_{0}^{x}(t-x)f''(t)dt(2)[/tex]
We also have:
[tex](t-x)f'(t)\mid_{t=0}^{t=x}=0*f'(x)+xf'(0)=xf'(0)[/tex]
thus, (2) may be written as:
[tex]f(x)=f(0)+f'(0)x+\int_{0}^{x}(x-t)f''(t)dt(3)[/tex]
where I have drawn the minus sign underneath the integral sign.
We may now rewrite (3) by noting:
[tex]\int_{0}^{x}(x-t)f''(t)dt=\frac{x^{2}}{2!}f''(0)+\frac{1}{2!}\int_{0}^{x}(x-t)^{2}f'''(t)dt[/tex]
that is:
[tex]f(x)=f(0)+f'(0)x+\frac{f''(0)}{2!}x^{2}+\frac{1}{2!}\int_{0}^{x}(x-t)^{2}f'''(t)dt(4)[/tex]
The emerging series has the form, for an infinitely differentiable function:
[tex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^{n}[/tex]
where [itex]n![/itex] is the factorial 1*2*3...*n (0!=1), and [tex]f^{(n)}[/tex] denotes the n'th derivative of f. (f is considered its own 0'th derivative).

That infinite series is called the Taylor series of f with respect to 0, a finite, truncated version of it is called a Taylor series approximation to f.

If we have the identity containing f(x) on the left-hand side and a finite sum and the integral on the right-hand side (for example our (4)), we call the integral "the remainder", or "error term".

Last edited:

Related to Solve Binomial Identities to Approximate Fresnel Zone Radius

1. What is a binomial identity?

A binomial identity is a mathematical expression that relates two binomial coefficients. It is often used to simplify complex equations and can be helpful in approximating values in various mathematical problems.

2. How do you solve binomial identities?

To solve binomial identities, you can use various techniques such as the binomial theorem, Pascal's triangle, or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is important to carefully analyze the given identity and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

3. What is the Fresnel zone radius?

The Fresnel zone radius is a term used in physics and engineering to describe the distance between a transmitting antenna and a receiving antenna. It is used to determine the effects of diffraction and interference in radio wave propagation.

4. How can binomial identities be used to approximate the Fresnel zone radius?

Binomial identities can be used to approximate the Fresnel zone radius by simplifying the complex equations involved in calculating it. By using binomial identities, we can make the calculations more manageable and obtain a reasonably accurate approximation of the Fresnel zone radius.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving binomial identities to approximate the Fresnel zone radius?

Binomial identities are commonly used in various fields such as telecommunications, radar systems, and wireless networking to approximate the Fresnel zone radius. This can help engineers and scientists in designing effective and efficient communication systems.