Solve Arithmetic Series: Find Sum & Term - Check Answers!

In summary, you may not be getting the right answer because you are not correctly applying the "constant difference" law.
Aya
OK, these questions are supposed to be really easy, but I keep geting the wrong answer and I don't understand why, could someone pleas look at my work and tell me what I am doing wrong?

Find the indicated sum of each arithmetic series

S15 for 4 + 11 + 18 + ...

Sn= n/2 [ 2a + ( n - 1 ) d ]
Sn= 15/2 [ 2(4) + (15 - 1 ) 7 ]
Sn= 7.5 [ 8 + 98 ]
Sn= 795

Find t8 for the following sequence

10 000 , -5 000 , 2 500 , -1 250 ,

So...

tn= ar ^ n-1
tn= 10 000 (-0.5) ^ n-1

t8= 10 000 (-0.5) ^ 7
= 78.125

Sometimes the answers in the back of the book are wrong, so am I wrong or are they??

Physics news on Phys.org
Aya said:
Find the indicated sum of each arithmetic series

S15 for 4 + 11 + 18 + ...

Sn= n/2 [ 2a + ( n - 1 ) d ]
Sn= 15/2 [ 2(4) + (15 - 1 ) 7 ]
Sn= 7.5 [ 8 + 98 ]
Sn= 795

Presumably you not that if an has initial value a0 and "constant difference" x, then an= a0+n(xn. Furthermore, the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic series is [itex]a_0+ a_n= (a_0+ x_n)n/2[/itex]. That is, the sum is n times the "average" of the first and last terms of the sequence.
In the first problem, a0= 4 and r= 11- 4= 7. The first term is 4 and the 15th term is 4+ 14(7)= 4+ 98= 102. The sum is (4+ 102)/2= (106)/2= 53.

HallsofIvy said:
Presumably you not that if an has initial value a0 and "constant difference" x, then an= a0+n(xn. Furthermore, the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic series is [itex]a_0+ a_n= (a_0+ x_n)n/2[/itex]. That is, the sum is n times the "average" of the first and last terms of the sequence.
In the first problem, a0= 4 and r= 11- 4= 7. The first term is 4 and the 15th term is 4+ 14(7)= 4+ 98= 102. The sum is (4+ 102)/2= (106)/2= 53.

Uhm , the sum should be 53 times 15 (terms of the sequence) = 795. You seem to have dropped out the 15 somewhere. :smile:
-------------
@Aya: You did the first problem correctly :wink:.
The second one, however is wrong. By the way, are you trying to find the 8-th term of the series? Or the sum of the first 8 terms?
Assuming that you want to find the 8-th term, there's a small error in your work: you seem to forget a minus sign. :smile:

^ ok, thanks for all your help

Related to Solve Arithmetic Series: Find Sum & Term - Check Answers!

What is an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by adding a fixed number, called the common difference, to the previous term.

How do you find the sum of an arithmetic series?

To find the sum of an arithmetic series, use the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term.

How do you find a specific term in an arithmetic series?

To find a specific term in an arithmetic series, use the formula an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

How can I check my answers for an arithmetic series problem?

You can check your answers for an arithmetic series problem by plugging in your values into the formulas for finding the sum and term, and comparing your results to the given values or to other known terms in the series.

Can an arithmetic series have a negative common difference?

Yes, an arithmetic series can have a negative common difference. This means that the terms in the series are decreasing instead of increasing, and the series will still follow the same pattern of adding or subtracting the common difference to each term.