Solve Argument of sin \frac{8∏}{5} + i

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, the argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the number in the complex plane. It can be solved using the inverse tangent function and can be negative, indicating the location of the vector in the complex plane. The unit of measurement for the argument is radians or degrees and it is independent of the magnitude of the complex number. Both the argument and magnitude are necessary to fully describe a complex number.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[itex]arg \left\{ sin \frac{8∏}{5} + i \left( 1 + cos\frac{8∏}{5}\right) \right\}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]2sin \frac{4∏}{5} cos \frac{4∏}{5} + i2cos^{2} \frac{4∏}{5} \left(cos2θ=2cos^{2}θ-1 and sin2θ=2sinθcosθ\right)[/itex]

After simplification what is the next step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what "argument" means in this problem?

Related to Solve Argument of sin \frac{8∏}{5} + i

1. What is the argument of sin(8π/5) + i?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the number in the complex plane. In this case, the argument of sin(8π/5) + i is 8π/5 radians or 288 degrees in the fourth quadrant.

2. How do you solve the argument of a complex number?

To solve the argument of a complex number, you can use the inverse tangent function (arctan). First, find the ratio of the imaginary and real parts of the complex number (i.e. sin(8π/5) = 1/2 and cos(8π/5) = -√3/2). Then, use the inverse tangent function to find the angle in radians or degrees.

3. Can the argument of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the argument of a complex number can be negative. This indicates that the vector representing the complex number is in either the second or third quadrant of the complex plane.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the argument of a complex number?

The unit of measurement for the argument of a complex number is radians or degrees. Radians are the most commonly used unit for arguments, but degrees can also be used.

5. How does the argument of a complex number relate to its magnitude?

The argument of a complex number and its magnitude (or absolute value) are independent of each other. The argument represents the angle in the complex plane, while the magnitude represents the distance from the origin. However, both the argument and magnitude are necessary to fully describe a complex number.