Solve Angular Velocity: \theta=60deg, \alpha=-2w^2

In summary, the discussion was about solving for the angular velocity when given an angular acceleration and angles. Through calculations and integration, the correct answer was found to be w=3.51, with a step-by-step explanation provided by an expert.
Bingo1915
[SOLVED] Angular Velocity

The angular acceleration is given [tex]\alpha[/tex]=-2w^2 rad/s^2 where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular velocity in rad/s. When [tex]\theta[/tex]=30 deg the angular velocity is 10 rad/s. What is the angular velocity when [tex]\theta[/tex]=60deg?

Used [tex]\alpha=d\varpi/d\theta * \varpi[/tex]

[tex]\int-2 d\theta=\int1/\varpi d\varpi[/tex]

after integration I got

[[tex]\(-2)*theta[/tex]]=[[tex]ln\varpi[/tex]]

limits 0-60 for [tex]\theta[/tex] and 10 to [tex]\varpifor \varpi[/tex]

I think I'm missing a step somewhere. The book gives an answer of w=3.51. With my calculations I get w=1.14. Can you advise?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Redo the calculation. Book is correct. The limits of theta should be from pi/6 to pi/3.

Using pi/6 to pi/3 I get

-2pi/3 + pi/3 = lnw-ln10

-pi/3 + ln10 = lnw

From here I think it is

1/[e^(-pi/3+ln10)] = w

Can you check me on this part?

Last edited:
1/[e^(-pi/3+ln10)] = w

e^(-pi/3+ln10) = w [ln a = b ie e^b = a]

Bingo1915 said:
Using pi/6 to pi/3 I get

-2pi/3 + pi/3 = lnw-ln10

-pi/3 + ln10 = lnw

ln 10/w = pi/3. Take antilog of pi/3, use a calulator (or something) => w = 3.51.

(By antilog, I meant, 10/w = e^pi/3. You have done everything correctly.)

Last edited:
I see where I was incorrect.

Thanks for the help.

Related to Solve Angular Velocity: \theta=60deg, \alpha=-2w^2

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is expressed in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. What does the equation \theta=60deg, \alpha=-2w^2 represent?

This equation represents the relationship between angular displacement (\theta) and angular acceleration (\alpha) for an object rotating with a constant angular velocity (\omega) of -2 rad/s^2. It is a simplified version of the equation \theta=\theta_0 + \omega_0t + \frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2, where \theta_0 represents the initial angular displacement and \omega_0 represents the initial angular velocity.

3. How do you solve for angular velocity?

To solve for angular velocity, you need to know the value of angular displacement (\theta) and angular acceleration (\alpha). You can use the equation \omega=\sqrt{\frac{\alpha}{2}\theta} to solve for angular velocity.

4. What units are used for angular velocity?

Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s). However, it can also be expressed in revolutions per minute (rpm) or revolutions per second (rps).

5. What factors can affect angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied torque, the moment of inertia of the object, and any external forces acting on the object. It can also change if the rotational axis or point of rotation changes.