Solve Angular Velocity of Circular Platform with 73.3kg Student

In summary, the system consists of a rotating platform with a mass of 92.1 kg and a radius of 3.49 m, and a student with a mass of 73.3 kg walking towards the center. Given an initial angular velocity of 3.5 rad/s when the student is at the rim, the angular velocity of the system when the student is 1.61 m from the center can be found using the conservation of angular momentum. By considering the moment of inertia for both the platform and the student, the final angular velocity is calculated to be 6.78 rad/s.
chaotixmonjuish
A horizontal circular platform (M = 92.1 kg, r = 3.49 m) rotates about a frictionless vertical axle. A 73.3 kg student walks slowly from the rim of the platform toward the center. The angular velocity of the system is 3.5 rad/s when the student is at the rim. Find the angular velocity of the system when the student is 1.61 m from the center.

So I have these calculations:

I=mr^2
I=92.1*3.49^2+73.3*3.49^2=2014.59
I=92.1*3.49^2+73.3*1.61^2= 1311.79

Rotational Kinetic Energy:
1/2*2014.59*3.5^2=1/2*1311.79*x^2

I haven't been able to get the right answer of 6.78 rad/s. I'm reviewing for a test by reworking my homework, but I'm not sure how I got that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of angular momentum.

[tex] L_i = L_f [/tex]

so [tex] I_i \omega_i = I_f \omega_f [/tex]

I tried that and still got a wrong answer:5.375

OK I just noticed you are using the same moment of inertia expression for both "objects". You need to use this

for the wheel [tex] I = \frac{1}{2}MR^2 [/tex]

for the student, take as a point mass so [tex] I = mr^2 [/tex]

Related to Solve Angular Velocity of Circular Platform with 73.3kg Student

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. In simpler terms, it is the speed at which an object rotates around a fixed point.

How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

What is the formula for solving angular velocity of a circular platform?

The formula for solving angular velocity of a circular platform is ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the tangential velocity, and r is the radius of the circular platform.

What is the significance of the 73.3kg student in this problem?

The 73.3kg student represents the mass of an object on the circular platform. This mass can affect the angular velocity of the platform due to the principles of conservation of angular momentum.

How does the angular velocity of a circular platform affect the student?

The angular velocity of a circular platform can affect the student in terms of centripetal force. As the platform rotates faster, the centripetal force acting on the student also increases, potentially causing them to feel a greater force pushing them towards the center of the platform.