How Old are You? - Revisiting an Old PFs Thread

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary: Originally posted by Bubonic Plague Nah, hopefully I'm a bit wiser now than I was years agoI agree, Bubonic Plague. I'm glad that I'm able to learn and grow even as I get older.
Originally posted by Mentat
Fine, you are saying that a child's intelligence does increase, but at a rate that is determined entirely by genes, right? I still disagree. If I get into a nasty car accident, where my brain is severly damaged, I will not progress in intellect as I might have otherwise. If I am raised in primitive surroundings, with no access to public (or otherwise) learning facilities, my intelligence will not increase as it would have, were it nurtured.

Ok now we're just splitting hairs. The sun could implode engulfing the solar system in a supernova blast, and that might hinder the curve too... hehehe But we're talking "general" circumstances.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Zantra
Ok now we're just splitting hairs. The sun could implode engulfing the solar system in a supernova blast, and that might hinder the curve too... hehehe But we're talking "general" circumstances.

But that would mean that people in some Third-World country should eventually evolve a lower "curve" since their "normal" is very different from America's "normal".

While this makes sense . . .

The coveted stamp of approval . . .

. . . (and has been mentioned many times before, on the PFs)

So?

, I think it should be recognized that I.Q. tests deal with Mechanical Aptitude, Spacial Reasoning, Logic Ability, Mathematical Aptitude, etc. All things that have to do with your over-all intelligence.

[?] . . . and that means one can't learn to take the test better?

What comes with being 17, just about nothing - except rated R movies.

Originally posted by Matt
What comes with being 17, just about nothing - except rated R movies.

See . . . already you are understanding the potential of seeing the glass half full.

At 16 - drivers license; at 17 - R-rated moves; at 18 - can go to war and kick butt; at 21, can vote and drink beer (legally). Then . . . at 55, can join the seniors organization (which I can't remember the name of because I am too senile).

And me, what do I have to look forward to? Knowing what to choose for the art of appreciation, and making few mistakes in that regard.

ok sleuth i can see your point slightly, i could just be getting better at doing the tests. but i also see mentats point that iq tests cover overall intelligence not just learning apptitude.

over here its 16=legal sex (gay and straight), and war. 17= drivers license 18= x-rated movies, and drink alcohol legally. 60= pension, discount travel and salvation army (oldies club).

And few older ones have such an inquisitive mind, Majin.

This is an important point as well. You see, I said that age affords one more opportunities to learn; however, while this is still true, there some younger people (like MajinVegeta) who have such a zeal for learning, that they can easily make up for their lack of "experience".
My younger brother is 13 and he wouldn't pick up a book if his life depended on it. I'm sure he'd rather die than learn about the world he lives in. I'm 18, myself, just graduated from high school. Being on this forum makes me wish I was even younger. There's no way I'll ever understand all there is to understand in my lifetime. It's rather discouraging.

Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
My younger brother is 13 and he wouldn't pick up a book if his life depended on it. I'm sure he'd rather die than learn about the world he lives in. I'm 18, myself, just graduated from high school. Being on this forum makes me wish I was even younger. There's no way I'll ever understand all there is to understand in my lifetime. It's rather discouraging.

Unfortunately no one has all the answers. All we can do is strive to find all the answers that we can.

im 22, I've done school, and college, got great grades in a range of subjects, now I am studying for an MBA (masters of business administration) degree in business admin and managment. i read textbooks on subjects ranging from psychology and philosphy to medicine etc, but i still know very litle of everything there is to know. IQtests you skills and learning apptitude, it doesn't tell you how much you know.

Originally posted by sir-pinski
24 and not particularly bothered by it. Life is far too short to be worried about how old you are - it's better to just live I think. Besides hopefully nano-tech and advanced genetic engineering will come along soon and help us all out :)

Yeah . I'm 24.