Solve a system of second order PDE

In summary: It should be around 2.5 meters, if calculated with Euler-Bernoulli.In summary, the conversation discusses the solution of a system of differential equations involving partial derivatives. The suggested approach is to split the system and seek a particular solution using Fourier transform. This reduces the problem to solving an ODE and obtaining a general solution for the original system. However, it is noted that the equation is difficult to solve and other methods such as finite differences may be more suitable. The conversation also discusses using Matlab to solve the integral involved in the solution, but the results obtained may not be accurate.
Woppe
I need to solve the following system of differential equations:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial t^2} + A\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} - B \frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial z^2} = Cq[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 q}{\partial t^2} + D\frac{\partial q}{\partial t} + q = E\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial t^2}
[/tex]

A,B,C,D and E are constants.
Is it possible to solve this using Matlab? In that case, how is it done? I have looked into the function pdepe but I could not figure out how to use it in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Present Computer Algebra Systems are weak enough in automatic PDEs solving. At the same time they provide unprecedented possibilities to carry out exhausting calculations.

What about your problem. First of all you need split your system. Finding [tex]q[/tex] from first DE and substituting it into second DE gives the equivalent PDE system, where the second PDE has only one dependent variable. It’ll be linear fourth order in [tex]t[/tex] and second order in [tex]z[/tex].

Seek particular solution of the second PDE in the following form

[tex]y(t,z) = F(\tau,z)\exp(\tau t)[/tex]

Substituting it, you obtain the second order DE for F (in fact it is ODE) which is solvable. Then (the general) solution to second PDE looks like

[tex]y(t,z) = \int_{- \infty}^\infty F(\tau,z)\exp(\tau t)d \tau[/tex]

where, of course, [tex]F[/tex] is the solution of above DE.

Substitution of it in the first DE gives the solution for [tex]q[/tex].

I understand how you create the new DE, but then I don't understand how you denote your expression.

Am I supposed to find F and tau? What substitution is required to obtain the second expression?

Thanks in advance.

kosovtsov actually performed some kind of Fourier/Laplace transform.

What is suggested is that you will transform the time-domain (t variable) to a frequency domain (w variable) so your function y(t,z) is represented:

[tex]y(t,z)=\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}F(w,z)e^{iwt}dw[/tex]

If you're not quite familiar with Fourier transform, I will suggest you reading into it - but generally it means that your function y is composed of infinite harmonics with different frequency (exp(iwt) ) and different amplitudes which depend on the frequency (F(w)).
The function F(w) (in our case its F(w,z)) is the Fourier transform of y(t,z).

What is comfortable about Fourier transform, is that differentiation in the time domain, becomes multiplication in the frequency domain. So:

[tex](\partial_{t})^{n}y(t,z)=(iw)^{n}F(w,z)[/tex]
[tex](\partial_{z})y(t,z)=\partial_{z}F(w,z)[/tex]

So you reduce your PDE to an ODE-like equation (because you can regard w as a parameter, not a variable you differentiate wrt).

So go over your new PDE, and whenever you see y swap it with F, and whenever you see a t-derivative swap it with a powered (iw) and then you will have a simpler equation for F. Of course this doesn't mean you will have an explicit solution to y (it'll be expressed as an integral) but this can be approximated with numerical methods.

I have been talking to a professor in numerical calculations at my university, and I was told this equation is difficult to solve. I was recommended to look into second order wave equations, solved by finite differences. I have still not come closer to solving the problem though.

How can I find F in the equations you have written?

The equivalent splited system is as follows

[tex]
q= (\frac {\partial^2 y}{\partial t^2}+A\frac {\partial y}{\partial t}-B\frac {\partial ^2 y}{\partial z^2})/C
[/tex]

[tex] \frac {\partial ^4y}{\partial t^4}= B\frac {\partial ^4y}{\partial t^2 \partial z^2}-A\frac {\partial ^3y}{\partial t^3}-AD\frac {\partial^2y}{\partial t^2}+\frac {\partial ^2y}{\partial z^2}-A\frac {\partial y}{\partial t}-\frac {\partial^3y}{\partial t^3}+CE\frac {\partial^2y}{\partial t^2} -\frac {\partial^2y}{\partial t^2}+B\frac {\partial^2y}{\partial z^2} [/tex]

Seeking a partial solution in form

[tex] y(t,z) = F(\tau,z)\exp(\tau t) [/tex]

we get the following DE for [tex] F(\tau,z)[/tex]

[tex] -B(\tau^2+D\tau+1)\frac {\partial ^2F}{\partial z^2}+\tau(\tau^3-EC\tau+D\tau^2+\tau+A\tau^2+AD\tau+A)F[/tex]

In fact it is the oscillator equation (the scond order ODE with constant coefficients, as coefficients do not depend on [tex]z[/tex]. Its solution is

[tex] F(\tau,z) = F1(\tau)\exp(\sqrt{\frac{\tau(\tau^3-EC\tau+D\tau^2+\tau+A\tau^2+AD\tau+A)}{B(\tau^2+D\tau+1)}}z)+\\ F2(\tau)\exp(-\sqrt{\frac{\tau(\tau^3-EC\tau+D\tau^2+\tau+A\tau^2+AD\tau+A)}{B(\tau^2+D\tau+1)}}z) [/tex]

So the general solution for [tex]y[/tex]

[tex] y(t,z) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty F(\tau,z)\exp(\tau t) d\tau\,,[/tex]

where [tex] F(\tau,z)[/tex] is in above form and [tex] F1(\tau), F2(\tau)[/tex] are arbitrary functions.

Thanks for that!

To calculate the integral, I wrote a program in Matlab.
I assign the constans A, B, C, D, E values between 0.1 and 1.0, and use the following command:
Code:
y = quadgk(@(tau)FsfaTauZ(tau,z).*exp(tau.*t),-Inf,Inf)
Where FsfaTauZ contains the the function F as you wrote it, with F1 and F2 being constants equal to 1.
Just for the sake of simplicity, also t and z are set to 1.
Problem is, the value returned by quadgk approaches infitity and has a small imaginary component as well. That's not reasonable, since the value of y describes the deflection of a line exposed to a wind load.

Related to Solve a system of second order PDE

What is a system of second order PDE?

A system of second order partial differential equations (PDEs) is a set of equations that involve multiple dependent variables and their partial derivatives with respect to more than one independent variable. These equations are commonly used in mathematical modeling to describe complex physical phenomena.

Why is it important to solve a system of second order PDE?

Solving a system of second order PDEs allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us to develop mathematical models that can be used for further analysis and experimentation.

What are the techniques used to solve a system of second order PDE?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve a system of second order PDEs, including separation of variables, method of characteristics, and Fourier transform. Each technique has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific properties of the system being solved.

What are the challenges in solving a system of second order PDE?

One of the main challenges in solving a system of second order PDEs is the complexity of the equations involved. These equations often have no analytical solution and require numerical methods to approximate the solution. Additionally, the boundary and initial conditions of the system must be carefully considered to ensure an accurate solution.

Are there any real-world applications of solving a system of second order PDE?

Yes, there are numerous real-world applications of solving a system of second order PDEs. Some examples include modeling fluid flow in pipes, predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and analyzing the movement of stock prices in financial markets. These applications show the wide range of fields where solving a system of second order PDEs is crucial for understanding complex systems.