Solve 6th Grade Enigma with Integers 8, 4, 2, 1 in Order

• Thread starter Steve10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    enigma
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of using integers 8, 4, 2, and 1 in order to create equations that equal 18 and 19, using the operands + - % X and exponents (^) in the same order. The speakers propose various equations but ultimately conclude that it may be impossible to use all the operands in order. The possibility of using the factorial function is also discussed, but it is not included in the given parameters. The conversation ends with the suggestion that perhaps the question was misunderstood and that it may be possible to use the integers in order and the operands only once. However, the original poster still believes the question is impossible to solve.
Steve10
This is supposed to be a 6th grade problem.

using integers 8 4 2 1 in order, create an equation to equal 18 and another to equal 19. you may use + - % X and exponents (^) in the same order.

Now if the integers and operands (including exponent) are to be in any order then the answers are simple.

8 + (4+1)*2 = 18
8*2 + 4 - 1 = 19

But, if not only the integers 8,4,2,1 are to be in order, but also the operands, then it seems impossible.

I think the integers must be in order at least. Can anyone see if it's possible or not to answer this question with integers in order but the operands in any order?

Integers are to be used once only.
Operands can be used multiple times.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how the operands can even be used "in order." At most, only four will be used--and there are five given.

Anyway, my guess is that the exponent operand may have been given as ^2 (i.e., squared). Then,
(8-4)^2 + (2*1) = 18
(8-4)^2 + (2+1) = 19

I would guess that the order of operands is simply that the use of the operands should follow that order of preference. + - % X ^.

Nice answers. It's just that the integers are only allowed to be used once only - AFAIK!

Steve10 said:
you may use + - % X and exponents (^) in the same order.
If you need to use the operative in order than I must say it seems impossible.

Can you use the factorial function?
e.g.
(8 - 4! - 2) * (-1) = 18
(-8) + 4! + 2 + 1 = 19

Oh... and AFAIK?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
Since I can't do this problem, then thanks for saying it seems inpossible as it is.

Factorial function not included, I'm afraid :(, nice one though :)

AFAIK == As Far As I Know.
AFAIAA == As Far As I Am Aware.

Steve10 said:
Since I can't do this problem, then thanks for saying it seems inpossible as it is.

Factorial function not included, I'm afraid :(, nice one though :)

AFAIK == As Far As I Know.
AFAIAA == As Far As I Am Aware.

Oh ok, cool... cheers. :biggrin:

I do believe it is impossible, if the order of the numbers and the operations has to be the same as you stated. I think the best thing to do is to prove it cannot be done, rather than it can be done.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Maybe ...just maybe , u read the question wrongly...

Like what Knavish answered at first...maybe the operands can be used only once ...n the interger in the order...

interesting question...

ntg is impossible!

Related to Solve 6th Grade Enigma with Integers 8, 4, 2, 1 in Order

What is the purpose of solving the 6th grade enigma with integers 8, 4, 2, 1 in order?

The purpose of solving this enigma is to practice and improve one's understanding of basic integer operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How do you solve the 6th grade enigma with integers 8, 4, 2, 1 in order?

To solve this enigma, you will need to use the given integers to create mathematical expressions that equal the target number, which is typically 6. This can be done by combining the integers and using the four basic operations, following the rules of order of operations.

What are some strategies for solving the 6th grade enigma with integers 8, 4, 2, 1 in order?

Some strategies for solving this enigma include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using guess and check, using a number line, and using patterns in the given integers. It is also helpful to double-check your work and to make sure you are following the rules of order of operations.

How does solving the 6th grade enigma with integers 8, 4, 2, 1 in order relate to real-life situations?

Solving this enigma can help improve one's understanding of basic math skills, which are essential in many real-life situations, such as budgeting, cooking, and measuring. It also helps develop critical thinking skills, which are valuable in problem-solving in everyday life.

What are some tips for beginners to solve the 6th grade enigma with integers 8, 4, 2, 1 in order?

Some tips for beginners include starting with simpler expressions and gradually increasing the difficulty, practicing regularly, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also helpful to understand the basic rules of integers and order of operations before attempting to solve the enigma.