Solve 4th Order Polynomial in Excel - F(x) to F(y)

• Thread starter Geo_DW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, a 4th order polynomial is a mathematical expression with a variable raised to the 4th power. It can be solved in Excel using the "POLY" function and can be useful in analyzing data and finding solutions to equations. Excel can also be used to graph a 4th order polynomial, but there are limitations such as the number of coefficients that can be handled and limited precision in calculations.
Geo_DW
helo,

just wondering if anyone could tell me how to solve a fourth order polynomial in excel. i have a fourth order polynomial of form y=F(x), but i want it to be x=F(y)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't fully understand what you want. However F(x)-y=0 is a fourth degree equation in x, which is solvable. The solutions will be of the form x=gi(y), where i=1,2,3,4.

Edit: Failure to read the original post...

--J

Related to Solve 4th Order Polynomial in Excel - F(x) to F(y)

1. What is a 4th order polynomial?

A 4th order polynomial is a mathematical expression that contains a variable raised to the 4th power, such as x4. It is also known as a quartic polynomial.

2. How do I solve a 4th order polynomial in Excel?

To solve a 4th order polynomial in Excel, you can use the built-in function called "POLY" which stands for polynomial. This function takes in a range of cells containing the coefficients of the polynomial and the x-value for which you want to solve for. For example, if your polynomial is in the form f(x) = ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e, your Excel formula would be "=POLY(x, A1:E1)".

3. What is the purpose of solving a 4th order polynomial in Excel?

Solving a 4th order polynomial in Excel can be useful in many scientific and engineering applications. It can help in analyzing data, making predictions, and understanding the relationships between variables. It can also be used to find the roots or solutions to the polynomial equation.

4. Can I use Excel to graph a 4th order polynomial?

Yes, you can use Excel to graph a 4th order polynomial. After solving the polynomial using the POLY function, you can use the "XY Scatter" chart type to plot the x and y values. You can also add a trendline to the graph to visualize the shape of the polynomial curve.

5. Are there any limitations to solving a 4th order polynomial in Excel?

Yes, there are some limitations to solving a 4th order polynomial in Excel. The POLY function can only handle up to 6 coefficients, so if your polynomial has more than 6 terms, you would need to split it into multiple parts and solve them separately. Additionally, Excel has a limited precision for calculations, so the solutions may not be completely accurate.