Solve 3 Bit Grey Code Decoding: Output Logic

In summary, the first part of the conversation discusses the use of a three bit grey code to represent numerical values, with the combinations listed in ascending order. The second part explores the design of a three bit grey code to decimal decoder, where the outputs are active low. The boolean functions for each output terminal are derived using DeMorgan's law to account for the active low condition.
bd411

Homework Statement

Given that the variables A[2:0] form a three bit grey code to represent numerical values:

i) Write down all binary combinations for A[2:0], in ascending order of numerical value

ii) A three bit grey code to decimal decoder is to be designed, where the outputs X[0:7] are active low. Write down the boolean functions of each output terminal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the first part is easy enough, it's just grey code (only change one bit at a time)

A2:A0

0 000
1 001
2 011
3 010
4 110
5 111
6 101
7 100

The second part is confusing me though, and it's to do with the "active low part". Initially I got what's below but how is it any different to if the outputs weren't active low ?!

X0 = A2'A1'A0'
X1 = A2'A1'A0
X2 = A2'A1A0
X3 = A2'A1A0'
X4 = A2A1A0'
X5 = A2A1A0
X6 = A2A1'A0
X7 = A2A1'A0'

Physics news on Phys.org
If, for example, 2 would be A2'A1A0 if it was active high, you want the complement for active low. Use DeMorgan's law. The complement of a product is not the product of the complements.

LCKurtz said:
If, for example, 2 would be A2'A1A0 if it was active high, you want the complement for active low. Use DeMorgan's law. The complement of a product is not the product of the complements.

Hmm ok so for X0 I had A2' . A1' . A0' when I should have all that [A2' . A1' . A0']'

So that becomes A2 + A1 + A0 ?

bd411 said:
Hmm ok so for X0 I had A2' . A1' . A0' when I should have all that [A2' . A1' . A0']'

So that becomes A2 + A1 + A0 ?

You tell me. Is that low only when they are all 0?

Yes, that function is low only when they are all 0.

Related to Solve 3 Bit Grey Code Decoding: Output Logic

1. What is a 3 bit grey code?

A 3 bit grey code is a binary code where only one bit changes between adjacent numbers. This is useful for minimizing error when converting between digital and analog signals.

2. How do you decode a 3 bit grey code?

To decode a 3 bit grey code, you can use a truth table to determine the output logic for each bit. Each bit will have a different output for 0 and 1, and the final output can be determined by combining the individual outputs.

3. What is the purpose of output logic in 3 bit grey code decoding?

The purpose of output logic is to determine the correct output for each bit in the grey code. This ensures that the decoded number is accurate and minimizes any potential errors.

4. What are the possible outputs for a 3 bit grey code?

For a 3 bit grey code, there are 8 possible outputs, ranging from 000 to 111. Each output corresponds to a different combination of inputs and output logic.

5. How is grey code different from traditional binary code?

Grey code differs from traditional binary code in that only one bit changes between adjacent numbers, whereas in traditional binary code, multiple bits can change. This makes grey code more efficient for certain applications, such as in analog-to-digital conversion.