Solve 1D Motion Questions: Determine Velocity, Max Height, Time Req.

In summary, by using equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, you can solve for the initial velocity, maximum height, and time to reach the maximum height of an object thrown nearly vertically upward from a tall building. Similarly, for an object falling from a windowsill, using equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, you can solve for the distance between the windowsill and the top of the window using the given height and time.
oreosama

Homework Statement

a rock is thrown nearly vertical upward from the edge of a tall building of height H. it just misses the edge of the building on the way down and strikes the ground T seconds after being thrown. given H, T

determine the initial velocity of the rock
the max height it reaches above its starting point
the time to reach its max height

Homework Equations

v= v_0 + at

x = x_0 + v_0*t + 1/2*a*t^2

v^2 = v_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)

The Attempt at a Solution

x_0 = H
x = 0
v_0 = ?
v = ?
a = g
t = T

with these as inputs I don't see how I can manipulate algebra to get the things I want. this is a recurring theme with the rest of my homework it seems:

a flowerpot falls off a windowsill and falls past a window below. a person inside the building notices that it takes T seconds to go from the top to the bottom of the window. the window is h meters high. given h, T

determine how far above the window is the windowsill.

v= v_0 + at

x = x_0 + v_0*t + 1/2*a*t^2

v^2 = v_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)x_0 = 0
x = q + h (figuring out q is the goal)
v_0 = 0
v = v
a = g
t = Tone again i feel like when i mess with the algebra i end up going in circles where I can't get everything solved within means of the terms given... hurts my head. i think I am doing something fundamentally wrong, let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. x_0 = H
x = 0
v_0 = ?
v = ?
a = g
t = T
x=H
x_0=0

2. x=u2/2a

h=ut+0.5at2

With [itex]v_0[/itex], the object can reach the maximum height [itex]h[/itex] (relative to the top of the building). That gives you an equation relating [itex]v_0[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex]. It takes [itex]T_u[/itex] to lose the initial speed [itex]v_0[/itex] going upward to the maximum height. That gives you an equation relating [itex]v_0[/itex] and [itex]T_u[/itex]. It takes [itex]T_d[/itex] to fall from [itex]H + h[/itex] to the ground. That gives you an equation relating [itex]H[/itex], [itex]T_d[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex]. And [itex]T_u + T_d = T[/itex]. So you have four equations and four unknowns [itex]v_0[/itex], [itex]h[/itex], [itex]T_u[/itex] and [itex]T_d[/itex], which you can solve.

Related to Solve 1D Motion Questions: Determine Velocity, Max Height, Time Req.

1. What is 1D motion?

1D motion, or one-dimensional motion, refers to the motion of an object along a straight line, with no change in direction. This type of motion is described by displacement, velocity, and acceleration in a single direction.

2. How do you determine an object's velocity in 1D motion?

To determine an object's velocity in 1D motion, you need to know the object's displacement and the time it took to cover that displacement. Velocity is calculated by dividing displacement by time, expressed as V = d/t. The resulting unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

3. What is the maximum height in 1D motion?

The maximum height in 1D motion is the highest point an object reaches during its motion. This is also known as the peak or apex. The maximum height is determined by the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. The formula to calculate maximum height is h = (V^2)/2g, where V is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How do you calculate the time required for an object to reach a certain distance in 1D motion?

The time required for an object to reach a certain distance in 1D motion can be calculated using the formula t = √(2d/a), where t is the time, d is the distance, and a is the acceleration. This formula assumes that the object starts from rest and has a constant acceleration.

5. Can 1D motion be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, 1D motion can be applied to real-life situations. Examples of 1D motion in everyday life include the motion of a car moving along a straight road, the motion of a pendulum, and the motion of a falling object. Understanding 1D motion is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and transportation.