Solve 1D Explosion Problem: Find Mass, Speed, Force & Momentum

In summary, an object with total mass of 8.6 kg explodes into two pieces. The two pieces, after the explosion, have masses of 2.15 kg and 6.45 kg. During the explosion, the pieces are given a total energy of 48.0 J. The smaller piece has a speed of 3.341 m/s after the collision and the larger piece has a speed of 6.682 m/s.
venceslau

Homework Statement

An object with total mass mtotal = 8.6 kg is sitting at rest when it explodes into two pieces. The two pieces, after the explosion, have masses of m and 3m. During the explosion, the pieces are given a total energy of E = 48.0 J.

1) What is the speed of the smaller piece after the collision?
2) What is the speed of the larger piece after the collision?
3) If the explosion lasted for a time t = 0.028 s, what was the average force on the larger piece?
4) What is the magnitude of the change in momentum of the smaller piece?
5) What is the magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the collision?

Homework Equations

Ek = P^2/2m
Ek = 0.5*m*v^2
ΔP = Pf - Pi
F = ΔP/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 (smaller piece) should be 1/4 of mtotal, so m1=2.15 kg
m2 (larger piece) should be 3/4 of mtotal, so m2=6.45 kg

We're told the pieces are given a total of 48 J, I simply assumed that 1/4 of that energy goes to m1 and the other 3/4 to m2. This is probably where I am going wrong.

From there I solved for velocity using Ek and mass:
v1 = sqrt(2*Ek/m1) = sqrt(2*12/2.15) = 3.341 m/s

Also tried assuming each piece was given a total of 48 J:
v1 = sqrt(2*Ek/m1) = sqrt(2*48/2.15) = 6.682 m/s

Also tried assuming each piece was given a total of 24 J:
v1 = sqrt(2*Ek/m1) = sqrt(2*24/2.15) = 4.7249 m/s

I don't quite understand what I may be doing wrong, some insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
venceslau said:
I simply assumed that 1/4 of that energy goes to m1 and the other 3/4 to m2. This is probably where I am going wrong.
You're right - that's wrong.
Use conservation of momentum to figure out how the energy is shared.

I think you should assume that the initial momentum is zero and that the sum of the final momentum is zero.

The last question does not seem to make sense in terms of what was qiven,

"5) What is the magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the collision? "

Should that be,

5) What is the magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the explosion?
----------

haruspex said:
You're right - that's wrong.
Use conservation of momentum to figure out how the energy is shared.

Spinnor said:
I think you should assume that the initial momentum is zero and that the sum of the final momentum is zero.

The last question does not seem to make sense in terms of what was qiven,

"5) What is the magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the collision? "

Should that be,

5) What is the magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the explosion?
----------

Thank you both for your replies. Spinnor, I agree with you, the wording on that last question is definitely incorrect, thanks for pointing that out.

Now, I am not so sure how I would go about using conservation of momentum to find out how the energy would be shared between the different pieces.

If I setup m1V1=m2V2, I still have two unknowns... :confused:

venceslau said:
Thank you both for your replies. Spinnor, I agree with you, the wording on that last question is definitely incorrect, thanks for pointing that out.

Now, I am not so sure how I would go about using conservation of momentum to find out how the energy would be shared between the different pieces.

If I setup m1V1=m2V2, I still have two unknowns... :confused:

But you also have an equation for the total kinetic energy is 48J. Two equations, two unknowns, you are set.

Spinnor said:
But you also have an equation for the total kinetic energy is 48J. Two equations, two unknowns, you are set.

Thank you Spinnor, I finally got it!

I appreciate your help.

Cheers

Related to Solve 1D Explosion Problem: Find Mass, Speed, Force & Momentum

1. How do I find the mass of an object in a 1D explosion problem?

To find the mass of an object in a 1D explosion problem, you can use the equation F = ma (force equals mass times acceleration). Rearrange the equation to solve for mass: m = F/a. You will need to know the force and acceleration of the object.

2. How do I calculate the speed of an object in a 1D explosion problem?

To calculate the speed of an object in a 1D explosion problem, you can use the equation v = u + at (final velocity equals initial velocity plus acceleration times time). If the object is starting from rest, then the initial velocity (u) is 0, and the equation simplifies to v = at. You will need to know the acceleration and time of the object.

3. What is the force in a 1D explosion problem?

The force in a 1D explosion problem is the amount of energy exerted on an object. It is typically measured in Newtons (N). In an explosion, the force can be calculated using the equation F = ma (force equals mass times acceleration). The force can also be found by multiplying the pressure of the explosion by the surface area of the object being impacted.

4. How do I find the momentum of an object in a 1D explosion problem?

The momentum of an object in a 1D explosion problem can be found using the equation p = mv (momentum equals mass times velocity). You will need to know the mass and velocity of the object. If the object is starting from rest, then the initial velocity is 0 and the equation simplifies to p = mv.

5. What are the units for mass, speed, force, and momentum in a 1D explosion problem?

The units for mass are typically kilograms (kg). The units for speed are typically meters per second (m/s). The units for force are typically Newtons (N). The units for momentum are typically kilogram meters per second (kg*m/s).