Solutions with a finite support

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding solutions for the Klein Gordon equation, specifically in regards to plane wave solutions and their behavior at infinity. The topic of fast diminishing tempered solutions and solutions with compact support is also discussed. Various potential problems and methods for solving the equation, such as Fourier transformation, are mentioned. It is ultimately determined that test functions with compact support cannot satisfy the Klein Gordon equation.
naima
Gold Member
I am interested in the solutions of the Klein Gordon equation.
Plane waves solutions are well known in physics. they look like ## e^ { i (kx - \sqrt{k^2 + m^2} t)}## or superpositions of them.
They are finite when t or x go to infinity.
I am looking for the general solution of the problem. In particular are there fast diminishing tempered solutions (in x and t) that could be useful with Schwartz distributions?
Are there solutions whith compact support?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there are solutions for the 1D potential well problem that die off exponentially as ## x \rightarrow \pm \infty ##. You might also try solving the equation for a 1D particle in a box, using separation of variables just like in the nonrelativistic case. A helpful reference is Wachter's Relativistic Quantum Mechanics.

I know that i can solve differential equations in (x,t) by Fourier transforming them. I get a simpler equation in (k,E) i solve it and i apply the inverse transformation to get the result in (x,t). Is it valid when i have to solve: eqdif(x,t) = 0 AND |t| > 1 => f(x,t) = 0?
I couls so add the condition for supp(f).

Edit:
it seems that |t| > 1 => f(x,t) = 0 is equivalent to ## (1 - rect (t)) f = 0 ##
As Fourier transforms rect in sinc it should give a second equation in E,p : TF(f) - sinc * TF(f) = 0
it uses the convolution of sinc and TF(f).
To be continued...

Last edited:
I got an answer here
It shows that test functions with a compact support cannot obey a KG equation.

Related to Solutions with a finite support

1. What is meant by a "solution with a finite support"?

A solution with a finite support refers to a mathematical function or equation that has a non-zero value only within a limited range or region. Outside of this region, the function or equation has a value of zero. This finite range is known as the support of the solution.

2. How are solutions with a finite support used in science?

Solutions with a finite support are commonly used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are particularly useful for modeling physical phenomena that have a localized effect, such as the diffusion of a substance or the propagation of a wave.

3. What are the advantages of using solutions with a finite support?

One advantage of using solutions with a finite support is that they can simplify complex mathematical problems by reducing them to a finite region. They also have practical applications, such as in signal processing, where the use of finite support solutions can improve the efficiency and accuracy of calculations.

4. Can solutions with a finite support be extended to an infinite range?

Yes, solutions with a finite support can be extended to an infinite range by approximating the finite support function with a series of functions that have smaller and smaller supports. This process, known as regularization, allows for the application of finite support solutions to a wider range of problems.

5. What are some common examples of solutions with a finite support?

Examples of solutions with a finite support include Gaussian functions, step functions, and piecewise functions. These types of functions are commonly used in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics, to model the behavior of particles within a finite region.