Solutions to a quantum harmonic oscillator - desperate for help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of σ that makes a given wavefunction a solution to the Schrodinger equation and calculating the associated energy. The equation for the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator is mentioned, and there is confusion about which form of the Schrodinger equation to use. The conversation ends with qbert and Bowen discussing how to use the equation to solve for σ.
Bowenwww
I need to find the value σ for which:

ψ0(x) = (2πσ)-1/4 exp(-x2/4σ)

is a solution for the Schrodinger equation

I know the equation for the QHO is:

Eψ = (P2/2m)ψ + 1/2*mw2x2ψ

I've tried normalizing the wavefunction but I end up with a σ/σ term :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't using the right form of the Schrodinger Equation. Try plugging it into the form with the derivatives:

[tex]
E\Psi = -\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}}\Psi + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}x^{2}\Psi[/tex]

Solve the resulting equation

edit - wrote the wrong equation.

that is the equation I was using I just put P as the momentum operator :( I'm confused! Do I enter the wavefuntion into schrodinger and then solve for what?

<3 xoxo

Are you given the general expression for [itex] E_n [/itex] ?? You are given the expression for [itex] \psi_n [/itex] for [itex] n = 0 [/itex]. So take the necessary derivatives, plug in the expression for E_0 and recall that this solution must be valid for all x. Do you know a specific value for x that might make this much easier?

edit - the general expression for E isn't really necessary now that I think about it. You'll still be able to solve for [itex] \sigma [/itex] in terms of E

I can find σ in terms of E but the question says give the value for it that makes ψ0 (the one I originally posted) a solution to the schrodinger

Then part II asks me to find the energy associated by putting the wavefunction ψ0 into schrodinger like you said, so I'm guessing there must be an actual value or σ?

I'm really confuzzled! :(

All I'm given is the function ψ0 like I originally posted, nothing else.

<3 xoxo

Huh, I'm confused then as well, typically when a question asks you what value for a constant makes it a solution to an equation the thing to do is plug it into said equation. Could you possibly write out the entire problem? Or is it in a certain textbook? If so, what text and what's the problem number.

Part I

Find the value σ0 for which:

ψ0(x) = (2πσ)-1/4 exp(-x2/4σ)

is a solution to the Schrodinger equation

Part II

What is the associated energy in part I? [hint: insert the given wave function into the schrodinger equation]

That's it word for word.

Thank you so much for helping I really appreciate it! <3 xoxoxo

when you substitute ψ into schrodingers equation
Hψ=Eψ, you know E is a constant (independent of x)
but when you calculate Hψ you'll get terms proportional
to x^2. you need to pick σ so that those terms go away.

I put the wavefunction in and took the 2nd derivative and all that I canceled a load of common terms and ended up with

E = (-h(bar)2/2m)*(x2)/(4σ2) + 1/2*(mω2x2)

Is this right? I don't get how to pick a value so all the x's disappear?

<3 Cheers guys xoxox

qbert, that would mean [itex] \sigma [/itex] is a function of x^2. This is definitely not the case.

Bowenwww, You should end up with the following:

[tex] E = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{4m\sigma} - \frac{\hbar^{2}x^{2}}{8m\sigma} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}x^{2} [/tex]

more like:
[tex]E = \frac{1}{4}\frac{\hbar^2}{m \sigma}-\frac{1}{8}\frac{\hbar^2x^2}{m\sigma^2}+\frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 x^2[/tex]

Clever-Name, picking σ to make the x^2 terms 0 does not
mean that σ is a function of x. in fact, if you just do it
you'll see precisely what σ has to be!

So that's how I find out the energy levels, right? But I still don't know how to get the sigma?

I really appreciate this guys I just need pointing in the right direction ^ _ ^<3 xoxoxox

i told you how to get σ.

But there's still two unknowns E and sigma - sorry I know I'm being really stupid here; I know how to get to the form you've given I just don't know how to get from there to a value for sigma?

:( xoxox

pick σ to make the x^2 terms go away.

If [itex]C_1 = (a-2)x^2 +C_2[/itex] where [itex]a[/itex], [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] are all constants, then [itex]a[/itex] must equal 2 (otherwise [itex]C_1[/itex] would be a function of [itex]x[/itex], not a constant) and [itex]C_1[/itex] must equal [itex]C_2[/itex]

qbert you're right, my mistake, but your attitude is unnecessary. Bowen is obviously struggling to figure this out and your bitter responses aren't very helpful. I also made a typo in the equation you corrected. The appropriate thing to do is assume I made that typo instead of being so pompous in response.

Bowen, The last two terms (the ones with x^2) should cancel out based on what [itex] \sigma [/itex] is. In other words, their sum should be zero! Work that out and tell me what your answer for sigma is! i.e. solve this equation:

[tex]
-\frac{\hbar^{2}x^{2}}{8m\sigma^{2}} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}x^{2} = 0 [/tex]

Clever-Name said:
qbert you're right, my mistake, but your attitude is unnecessary. Bowen is obviously struggling to figure this out and your bitter responses aren't very helpful. I also made a typo in the equation you corrected. The appropriate thing to do is assume I made that typo instead of being so pompous in response.

Bowen, The last two terms (the ones with x^2) should cancel out based on what [itex] \sigma [/itex] is. In other words, their sum should be zero! Work that out and tell me what your answer for sigma is! i.e. solve this equation:

[tex]
-\frac{\hbar^{2}x^{2}}{8m\sigma^{2}} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}x^{2} = 0 [/tex]

wow. bitter and pompous and here i thought i was being helpful.
i'm sorry if i offended anyone, that wasn't my intention.

Related to Solutions to a quantum harmonic oscillator - desperate for help

1. What is a quantum harmonic oscillator?

A quantum harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model that describes the behavior of a particle in a potential well, such as a spring. It is used to study the discrete energy levels and corresponding wave functions of the particle.

2. What are the solutions to a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The solutions to a quantum harmonic oscillator are the energy eigenvalues and corresponding wave functions. These solutions are obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system.

3. How do I find the solutions to a quantum harmonic oscillator?

To find the solutions to a quantum harmonic oscillator, you need to solve the Schrödinger equation for the system. This involves using mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or perturbation theory, depending on the specific system and its potential function.

4. Why is finding solutions to a quantum harmonic oscillator important?

Finding solutions to a quantum harmonic oscillator is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of quantum systems and make predictions about their energy levels and wave functions. This has many applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and chemistry.

5. Can you provide an example of a quantum harmonic oscillator?

One example of a quantum harmonic oscillator is a particle in a one-dimensional potential well with a quadratic potential, such as a particle attached to a spring. The solutions to this system are the Hermite polynomials, which describe the energy levels and wave functions of the particle.