Exploring the Universe: The Search for Life Beyond Earth

• Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date
In summary, people have gone as far as the Moon and Pluto in their explorations of the Universe, but telescopes have allowed us to see billions of trillions of miles away. People wonder about the existence of lifeforms in outer space due to human curiosity and a desire to know our place in the universe. While there is no definitive evidence, programs like SETI and NASA's search for life continue. Some believe that the existence of technologically advanced life may be linked to entropy principles, which can be further explored in books like "Cosmic Evolution" by Eric J. Chaisson.
Pattielli
Would you please tell me how far people have gone to explore the Universe ?
Why do people keep wondering if there exists to be any lifeforms in outer space ? Do we already have any evidence about them ?

Thank you,

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Many radio antennas and such are comitted to listening for alien signals, SETI being one of the larger organizations. As to why we wonder whether or not there are other lifeforms out there, who hasn't ever looked up at the sky and asked that question? It is human curiosity. As of yet there are plenty of UFO sightings and such, but no solid proof of alien lifeforms. (At least not officialy :rolleyes: )

That mean you ask that question whenever lookin up the sky ?
I never do that ! I used to hear that on TV about aliens. Perhaps I have met some around here... I will go check again :tongue:

Pattielli said:
Would you please tell me how far people have gone to explore the Universe ?

Manned missions have reached the Moon (a quarter million miles away).

Robotic spacecraft have gone past the outermost planet (Pluto) in our solar system, but have not left our solar system (billions of miles away).

Telescopes are used to explore the universe almost all the way back to the beginning (billions of trillions of miles).

In each case, we've only explored a tiny fraction of what there is out there.

Why do people keep wondering if there exists to be any lifeforms in outer space ?

Human curiosity & a desire to know our place in the universe.

Do we already have any evidence about them ?

Many people here will say no. But the level of "no" varies. Some people say there is absolutely no evidence (but many of them will agree that it's possible that there is other life out there). Others say that there is no definitive evidence, but there are some good suggestions (go check out our Skepticism forum & talk with Ivan).

As Grizzlycomet said, the SETI program is the biggest scientific search for intelligent alien life. NASA (and others) are searching for any life too (for example, the Mars rovers looking for water, telescopes looking for planets around other stars, etc.).

Pattielli said:
... Why do people keep wondering if there exists to be any lifeforms in outer space ? ... Thank you,
It might have some relevance to questions involving entropy principles to know if technologically advanced life exists elsewhere in the universe. Could it be that there exists some sort of entropy balance requirement that would require the existence of complex life forms?

Firstly, Thank you Phobos a lot for your useful information.

Mike2, can you please tell me what book i should read about entropy principles? Is that the entropy usually mentioned in thermodynamics-physics books ?
Thank Mike a lot, also.

Pattielli said:
Firstly, Thank you Phobos a lot for your useful information.

Mike2, can you please tell me what book i should read about entropy principles? Is that the entropy usually mentioned in thermodynamics-physics books ?
Thank Mike a lot, also.
Try reading Cosmic Evolution, by Eric J. Chaisson. This book describes how complexity can arise in nature. This is not a physics textbook, though. It does not cover entropy in detail. I suppose any undergraduate general physics text will have a more in depth introduction to entropy in it.

Thank you very much,

1. What is the universe?

The universe is the totality of all matter, energy, space, and time. It includes everything from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest galaxies and beyond.

2. Is there life beyond Earth?

While we have not yet discovered any definitive evidence of extraterrestrial life, many scientists believe it is highly likely that life exists elsewhere in the universe. We have found evidence of habitable conditions on other planets and moons, and the vastness of the universe suggests that life may have evolved in other places as well.

3. How do scientists search for life beyond Earth?

Scientists use a variety of methods to search for life beyond Earth, including telescopes, spacecraft missions, and radio telescopes. They also study the conditions on other planets and moons to determine if they could support life.

4. What is the Drake Equation?

The Drake Equation is a mathematical equation used to estimate the number of civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy that have the potential to communicate with us. It takes into account factors such as the number of habitable planets and the likelihood of intelligent life evolving on those planets.

5. How might the discovery of extraterrestrial life impact society?

The discovery of extraterrestrial life would have a profound impact on society, both scientifically and culturally. It would challenge our understanding of our place in the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements. It could also have implications for religion and philosophy, as well as ethical considerations about how we would interact with other intelligent beings.