Solutions of Friedmann Equations

In summary, you are asking how to get the scale factor as a function of time from the Friedmann Equations when k != 0, lambda = 0. Mathematica 5.2 won't give you a solution, and wherever you search for the best solution, you find the parametric solution in terms of \Theta: \pmb{R[\Theta ]=\alpha (1-\text{Cos}[\Theta ]);}\\\pmb{t=\beta (\Theta -\text{Sin}[\Theta ]);}\
petmal
Hello everybody,

could somebody tell me how to get the scale factor as a function of time [R(t)] from the Friedmann Equations for a simple dust, pressureless universe when k != 0, [tex]\Lambda[/tex] = 0.

Mathematica 5.2 doesn't want to give me any solution and wherever I searched the best thing I got was the parametric solution in terms of [tex]\Theta[/tex]:

[tex]\noindent\(\pmb{R[\Theta ]=\alpha (1-\text{Cos}[\Theta ]);}\\[/tex]
[tex]\pmb{t=\beta (\Theta -\text{Sin}[\Theta ]);}\)[/tex]

for a closed universe and:

[tex]\noindent\(\pmb{R[\psi ]=\gamma (\text{Cosh}[\psi ]-1);}\\[/tex]
[tex]\pmb{t=\delta (\text{Sinh}[\psi ]-\psi );}\)[/tex]

for an open universe.

Where [tex]\noindent\(\pmb{\alpha , \beta , \gamma , \delta }\)[/tex] are some constants...

Everywhere I also found plots of R vs. t for various parameters but without showing the solution for R(t).

I guess I just need to somehow invert expressions for time...

Thanks for help.

Petr

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
I changed a theta to a psi. Is this what you intended?
[tex]\noindent\(\pmb{R[\psi ]=\gamma (\text{Cosh}[\psi ]-1);}\\[/tex]
[tex]\pmb{t=\delta (\text{Sinh}[\psi ]-\psi );}\)[/tex]

for an open universe.

my apologies if this is wrong, or isn't what you meant.

It seems to me that you are asking if someone can express psi analytically as a function of t. Offhand I don't see how to do this.

Last edited:
marcus said:
I changed a theta to a psi. Is this what you intended?

my apologies if this is wrong, or isn't what you meant.

It seems to me that you are asking if someone can express psi analytically as a function of t. Offhand I don't see how to do this.

Simply, say, I want to make a plot of evolution of the scale factor R vs. t. Such plots are probably in every book which has something to do with cosmology.

To do this I need R as a function of t, unfortunatelly have no idea how to get it.

When k = 0, it's a simple differential equation solved on a piece of paper in a few moments, but what about k != 0 (open/closed universe)... :shy:

Just to be complete, I am adding the Friedmann Equation I am talking about:

[tex]\noindent\(\pmb{\left(\frac{dR[t]}{dt}\right)^2-\frac{8 \pi \rho _0 G}{3 R[t]}=-k c^2}\)[/tex]

where [tex]\rho _0[/tex] is the density as measured today...

Last edited:
Sometimes parametric equation like the one you have can't be transformed into simple explicit function...
This maybe just the case.
Still you can plot it , shouldn't be very hard.

ziad1985 said:
Sometimes parametric equation like the one you have can't be transformed into simple explicit function...
This maybe just the case.

Thanks, you confirmed what I was thinking about.

ziad1985 said:
Still you can plot it , shouldn't be very hard.

I guess this is what I don't know to do so I need R in terms of t... :blushing:

on a second look I think you can express t as function of r
You have r as a function of psi, you can write psi=acosh((r+gamma)/Gamma)
and then replace psi in the second equation containing psi and t.
just came trough my mind , try it.

Last edited:
ziad1985 said:
on a second look I think you can express t as function of r
You have r as a function of psi, you can write psi=acosh((r+gamma)/Gamma)
and then replace psi in the second equation containing psi and t.
just came trough my mind , try it.

I doubt the result could be solved explicitly for R...

Right now I've got three books in Astrophysics/Cosmology here, every of them provides the parametric solutions (above) and clearly explains how to get the age of the universe from it (expressing parameters in terms of [tex] \noindent\(\pmb{\Omega _0}\) [/tex] and so on)... But none of them explains how they got to graphing R(t) vs t... :mad:

petmal said:
... But none of them explains how they got to graphing R(t) vs t...

Graphing parametric equations is something I took in my calculus course in my first year in college...
It shouldn't be that hard, I suppose you can learn how to graph it, by looking into a calculus book...

try this link to draw: http://www.ies.co.jp/math/java/calc/sg_para/sg_para.html

Last edited by a moderator:
ziad1985 said:
Graphing parametric equations is something I took in my calculus course in my first year in college...
It shouldn't be that hard, I suppose you can learn how to graph it, by looking into a calculus book...

try this link to draw: http://www.ies.co.jp/math/java/calc/sg_para/sg_para.html

Thanks a lot, you opened my eyes... For some reason I didn't see the simple solution of plotting it as a parametric equation where x = t[[tex]\Theta[/tex]] and y = R[[tex]\Theta[/tex]]...

I was probably expecting something more complicated...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solutions of Friedmann Equations

1. What are the Friedmann equations?

The Friedmann equations are a set of equations that describe the evolution of the universe in the framework of general relativity. They were developed by Russian mathematician Alexander Friedmann in the 1920s and are used to study the dynamics of the universe, including its expansion and the presence of matter and energy.

2. What do the Friedmann equations tell us about the universe?

The Friedmann equations tell us about the overall structure and evolution of the universe. They describe how matter and energy are distributed throughout the universe and how the universe is expanding. They also provide insights into the future fate of the universe, including whether it will continue to expand or eventually collapse.

3. How are the Friedmann equations derived?

The Friedmann equations are derived from Einstein's field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. These equations are then solved for a homogeneous and isotropic universe, resulting in the Friedmann equations.

4. Do the Friedmann equations have any limitations?

Yes, the Friedmann equations have several limitations. They assume a homogeneous and isotropic universe, which may not accurately reflect the actual distribution of matter and energy in the universe. They also do not take into account the effects of dark matter and dark energy, which are thought to play a significant role in the dynamics of the universe.

5. How are the Friedmann equations relevant to cosmology?

The Friedmann equations are essential in cosmology as they provide a mathematical framework for studying the evolution of the universe. They are used to model various scenarios, such as the Big Bang theory and inflationary models, and provide insights into the overall structure and fate of the universe.