Solutions of D.E - Bessel Function

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the Bessel function of index 0 as a solution to a specific differential equation. The conversation also touches on the notation used and some difficulties in simplification. The individual asks for assistance in finding their mistakes and provides a link to a relevant forum thread.
irony of truth
Hello, I hope someone can show me where I got stuck/wrong.

Verify that the Bessel function of index 0 is a solution to the differential equation xy" + y' + xy = 0.

Note that my "<= 1" DOES NOT mean less than or equal to 1 but an arrow pointing to the left... it is said to be "equation 1".

It is given that the bessel function of index 0 is:

y = (from n= 0 to infinity){(-1)^n x^(2n) / [(n!)^2 2^(2n)] } <=0

getting the 1st derivative (w/ respect to x) is

y' = (from n= 1 to infinity){(-1)^n x^(2n-1) / [(n!)(n-1)! 2^(2n - 1)] } <= 1

Can I say this?

y' = (from n= 0 to infinity){(-1)^(n+1) x^(2n+1) / [(n!)(n+1)! 2^(2n + 1)] } <= 2

going back to <= 1,

y" = (from n= 1 to infinity){(-1)^n (2n -1)x^(2n-2) / [(n!)(n-1)! 2^(2n - 1)] } <= 3 or

y" = (from n= 0 to infinity){(-1)^(n+1) (2n + 1)x^(2n) / [(n!)(n+1)! 2^(2n + 1)] } <= 4

Substituting y", y' and y with <=4, <=2 and <=0 respectively to the given differential equation... but my can't simplify it to 0. There are terms in my series that cause me not to cancel them out to become zero.. where are my mistakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much.. I understood about the solutions...

Related to Solutions of D.E - Bessel Function

1. What is a Bessel function?

Bessel functions are a type of special mathematical function that arise in solving differential equations. They are named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and are used to describe a wide range of physical phenomena, such as the behavior of vibrating strings and heat conduction.

2. How are Bessel functions related to solutions of differential equations?

Bessel functions are often used as solutions to differential equations, particularly in problems involving cylindrical symmetry, such as in heat conduction or acoustics. They can also be used to describe the behavior of waves in circular or elliptical systems.

3. What are the properties of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have several important properties, including being infinitely differentiable, having both real and complex roots, and satisfying certain recurrence relations. They also have a unique series expansion, known as the Bessel series, which is used to approximate their values.

4. How are Bessel functions categorized?

Bessel functions are categorized based on their order, which is a measure of their oscillatory behavior. The two main types are the Bessel functions of the first kind (Jn) and the Bessel functions of the second kind (Yn). There are also modified Bessel functions (In and Kn) which are used in different applications.

5. How are Bessel functions used in real-world problems?

Bessel functions are used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry, such as in heat transfer, vibration analysis, and signal processing. They are also used in solving problems involving partial differential equations and in the analysis of quantum mechanical systems.