Solutions for diff equation in form of series

In summary: Just a recommendation for you based on reading your other posts.. It seems that you have a lot of misconceptions. Maybe it wouldn't hurt if you mastered basic math before trying to do more advanced stuff :)
Jhenrique
Given the following diff equation: ##(1 - D)y(x) = f(x)##, being D = d/dx, the "implicit" solution is: ##y(x) = \frac{1}{1-D}f(x)##, so, for "explicit" the solution is necessary to expand the fraction 1/(1-D) by identity: ##\frac{1}{1-x}=\sum_{0}^{\infty}x^n \Delta n##, but this infinity series is true only for |x|<1, for |x|>1 is necessary utilize the following series: ##\frac{1}{1-x} = -\sum_{-\infty}^{-1} x^n \Delta n##. Happens that D isn't a number for I say that |D| is less or greater than 1. So, how can I interprate this form of solution correctly?

PS, this ideia from Operational Calculus (http://www.latp.univ-mrs.fr/~chaabi/ARTICLES%20IMPORTANTS/Autres%20articles%20interessant/H.-J.%20Glaeske,%20A.%20P.%20Prudnikov,%20K.A.%20Skornik%20-%20Operational%20Calculus%20and%20Related%20Topics%20%28Analytical%20Methods%20and%20Special%20Functions%29%20%28Chapman%20,2006%29.pdf )

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:
Given the following diff equation: ##(1 - D)y(x) = f(x)##, being D = d/dx, the "implicit" solution is: ##y(x) = \frac{1}{1-D}f(x)##,
No, this makes no sense. You are treating 1 - D as if it were multiplying y(x) - it isn't, any more than (d/dx)y means d/dx times y. Here 1 - D is an operator that operates on y(x). It does NOT multiply y(x).
Jhenrique said:
so, for "explicit" the solution is necessary to expand the fraction 1/(1-D) by identity: ##\frac{1}{1-x}=\sum_{0}^{\infty}x^n \Delta n##, but this infinity series is true only for |x|<1, for |x|>1 is necessary utilize the following series: ##\frac{1}{1-x} = -\sum_{-\infty}^{-1} x^n \Delta n##. Happens that D isn't a number for I say that |D| is less or greater than 1. So, how can I interprate this form of solution correctly?

PS, this ideia from Operational Calculus (http://www.latp.univ-mrs.fr/~chaabi/ARTICLES%20IMPORTANTS/Autres%20articles%20interessant/H.-J.%20Glaeske,%20A.%20P.%20Prudnikov,%20K.A.%20Skornik%20-%20Operational%20Calculus%20and%20Related%20Topics%20%28Analytical%20Methods%20and%20Special%20Functions%29%20%28Chapman%20,2006%29.pdf )

Mark44 said:
No, this makes no sense. You are treating 1 - D as if it were multiplying y(x) - it isn't, any more than (d/dx)y means d/dx times y. Here 1 - D is an operator that operates on y(x). It does NOT multiply y(x).

You are being much formal, look:
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformada_de_Laplace#Perspectiva_hist.C3.B3rica

And ditto mark for my 1st question more one times...

Just a recommendation for you based on reading your other posts.. It seems that you have a lot of misconceptions. Maybe it wouldn't hurt if you mastered basic math before trying to do more advanced stuff :)

There is indeed something similar to what you're thinking. Suppose you have a bounded operator [itex]\textit{T}[/itex] on a normed space [itex]\textit{X}[/itex]. If the series [itex]\sum\limits_{k=0}^\infty T^k[/itex] converges, then [itex](1 - T)[/itex] is invertible and then
[tex]\left(1 - T\right)^{-1} = \sum\limits_{k=0}^\infty T^k[/tex]
If [itex]\textit{X}[/itex] is Banach and [itex] \| T \| < 1[/itex] (in operator norm) the convergence is guaranteed. The thing is, you have to define the function space you are working with. If you are working with polynomials then convergence is trivial (it is only a finite sum). On the other hand, if you are considering [itex]\frac{d}{dx}: C^1([0,1]) \rightarrow C([0,1])[/itex] the operator is not bounded.

Last edited:
There are ways to know in advance if the method will work, but it is often easier to go ahead with it and check the answer for correctness later. That is use the method to produce a possible solution to be verified afterward.

$$(1-\mathrm{D})\mathrm{y}(x)=\mathrm{f}(x) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=(1-\mathrm{D})^{-1}\mathrm{f}(t) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-\mathrm{D}^{-1}(1-\mathrm{D}^{-1})^{-1}\mathrm{f}(t) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-\sum_{k=1}^\infty\mathrm{D}^{-k}\mathrm{f}(t) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-\mathrm{D}^{-1}\sum_{k=1}^\infty\frac{(x-t)^{k-1}}{(k-1)!}\mathrm{f}(t) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-\mathrm{D}^{-1}e^{x-t}\mathrm{f}(t) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-e^{x}\mathrm{D}^{-1}e^{-t}\mathrm{f}(t)
$$
where
$$\mathrm{D}^{-1}\{\cdot\}=\int_a^x \! \{\cdot\} \, \mathrm{d}t$$
Also observe with some intuition we could skip to the end
(1-\mathrm{D})e^x e^{-x}\mathrm{y}(x)=\mathrm{f}(x) \\
-e^x\mathrm{D}e^{-x}\mathrm{y}(x)=\mathrm{f}(x) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-e^x\mathrm{D}^{-1}e^{-t}\mathrm{f}(t)$$

lurflurf said:
There are ways to know in advance if the method will work, but it is often easier to go ahead with it and check the answer for correctness later. That is use the method to produce a possible solution to be verified afterward.

\mathrm{y}(x)=(1-\mathrm{D})^{-1}\mathrm{f}(t) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-\mathrm{D}^{-1}(1-\mathrm{D}^{-1})^{-1}\mathrm{f}(t) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-\sum_{k=1}^\infty\mathrm{D}^{-k}\mathrm{f}(t) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-\mathrm{D}^{-1}\sum_{k=1}^\infty\frac{(x-t)^{k-1}}{(k-1)!}\mathrm{f}(t) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-\mathrm{D}^{-1}e^{x-t}\mathrm{f}(t) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-e^{x}\mathrm{D}^{-1}e^{-t}\mathrm{f}(t)
$$
How are you going from the 2nd line above to the third?
lurflurf said:
where
$$\mathrm{D}^{-1}\{\cdot\}=\int_a^x \! \{\cdot\} \, \mathrm{d}t$$
Also observe with some intuition we could skip to the end
(1-\mathrm{D})e^x e^{-x}\mathrm{y}(x)=\mathrm{f}(x) \\
-e^x\mathrm{D}e^{-x}\mathrm{y}(x)=\mathrm{f}(x) \\
\mathrm{y}(x)=-e^x\mathrm{D}^{-1}e^{-t}\mathrm{f}(t)$$

Jhenrique said:
One other thing: if you cite a paper that is 400+ pages long, at least say what page or section you're referring to.

^distributive property

$$(1-\mathrm{D})^{-1}=[(-\mathrm{D})(-\mathrm{D}^{-1})+(-\mathrm{D})(1)]^{-1} \\
=[-\mathrm{D}(-\mathrm{D}^{-1}+1)]^{-1}=(-\mathrm{D})^{-1}(1-\mathrm{D}^{-1})^{-1}=-\mathrm{D}^{-1}(1-\mathrm{D}^{-1})^{-1}$$
In operators 1 should be considered the identity of the operator algebra and not a number.
Maybe it would be better to use I
For example D(1-D)=D-D^2 not -D^2

Mark44 said:
One other thing: if you cite a paper that is 400+ pages long, at least say what page or section you're referring to.

Sorry, kkkkkkkkkk, the theory about operational calculus is in the first pages...

I know that the following expression works, ##\frac{1}{1-D}=\sum_{0}^{\infty}D^n \Delta n##, and that the following too, ##\frac{1}{1-D} = -\sum_{-\infty}^{-1} D^n \Delta n##. So, my question is: given a diff equation like: ##y(x) = \frac{1}{1-D}f(x)##, which of the two I must to use, and why?

Jhenrique said:
Sorry, kkkkkkkkkk, the theory about operational calculus is in the first pages...

I know that the following expression works, ##\frac{1}{1-D}=\sum_{0}^{\infty}D^n \Delta n##, and that the following too, ##\frac{1}{1-D} = -\sum_{-\infty}^{-1} D^n \Delta n##. So, my question is: given a diff equation like: ##y(x) = \frac{1}{1-D}f(x)##, which of the two I must to use, and why?

IMO it's misleading to write ##\frac 1 {1 - D}## instead of (1 - D)-1; i.e., as a fraction instead of an inverse.

Mark44 said:
IMO it's misleading to write ##\frac 1 {1 - D}## instead of (1 - D)-1; i.e., as a fraction instead of an inverse.

But that difference this make?

PS: this link has more example of "operational calculus": http://rip94550.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/heavisides-operational-calculus/

So, again I reiterate my question:

Last edited:
Xiuh said:
There is indeed something similar to what you're thinking. Suppose you have a bounded operator [itex]\textit{T}[/itex] on a normed space [itex]\textit{X}[/itex]. If the series [itex]\sum\limits_{k=0}^\infty T^k[/itex] converges, then [itex](1 - T)[/itex] is invertible and then
[tex]\left(1 - T\right)^{-1} = \sum\limits_{k=0}^\infty T^k[/tex]
If [itex]\textit{X}[/itex] is Banach and [itex] \| T \| < 1[/itex] (in operator norm) the convergence is guaranteed. The thing is, you have to define the function space you are working with. If you are working with polynomials then convergence is trivial (it is only a finite sum). On the other hand, if you are considering [itex]\frac{d}{dx}: C^1([0,1]) \rightarrow C([0,1])[/itex] the operator is not bounded.

I didn't undertand...

Related to Solutions for diff equation in form of series

1. What is a "solution for a differential equation in the form of a series"?

A solution for a differential equation in the form of a series is a mathematical expression that represents the solution to a differential equation as an infinite sum of terms. This series can be used to approximate the solution to the differential equation, making it easier to solve complex equations.

2. How is a differential equation converted into a series?

The process of converting a differential equation into a series involves breaking down the equation into a sum of simpler terms, known as a series. This is done by expanding the derivatives in the equation into their respective Taylor series. The terms of the series are then combined to form an infinite sum, representing the solution to the differential equation.

3. What is the benefit of using a series to solve a differential equation?

Using a series to solve a differential equation allows for a more accurate and efficient solution than traditional methods. It also allows for the solution to be approximated to any desired level of precision by including more terms in the series. Additionally, series solutions are useful in solving equations that cannot be solved using other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using series for differential equations?

While series solutions can be very powerful, they do have some limitations. They may only represent the solution to a differential equation in a specific range of values, and may not be valid for all values of the independent variable. Additionally, the process of converting a differential equation into a series can be complex and time-consuming, especially for higher-order equations.

5. How can series solutions be applied in real-world problems?

Series solutions for differential equations have a wide range of real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They can be used to model and predict various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrical circuits. They can also be used to approximate solutions in financial models and optimize complex systems.