Solution with high specific heat.

In summary, the speaker is looking for a solution with a high specific heat that can store a large amount of energy for each degree raised. They are considering using water as a solvent but are having trouble finding the right ions or molecules to increase its specific heat. They are also looking for a safe and readily available product. The speaker is aware that lithium has a high specific heat but is not safe to use with water. They are unsure about using salts containing lithium. They are asking for suggestions for a safe liquid with a high specific heat.
Forfeit
Hi, I want to know how I could produce a solution with a high specific heat, meaning it could store a huge amount of energy for each celsius degree raised.

Im planing on using water as the solvent but I am having a hard time finding the right ions or molecules to make this solution able to store more energy. My objective is to find a safe enough readily avaiable products to make this project.

I´m aware that lithium has a very high specific heat, yet I am also aware its not very safe, specially with water. I am not sure about salts containing it though. If anyone has any idea or know of a safe liquid with a high specific heat, please let me know.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can be wrong, but as water already has anomalously high specific heat, I doubt you will be able to increase it by dissolving something. Part of the energy is stored in hydrogen bonds, any dissolve substance disturbs water structure, making creaction of hydrogen bonds more difficult, thus decreasing specific heat.

There are a few options for creating a solution with a high specific heat. One option is to use a mixture of water and ethylene glycol, which is commonly used in antifreeze solutions. This mixture has a higher specific heat than pure water and is safe to handle. Another option is to use a mixture of water and calcium chloride, which has a very high specific heat and is also safe to handle. Additionally, you could consider using a mixture of water and sodium acetate, which has a high specific heat and can store large amounts of thermal energy when it undergoes a phase change from liquid to solid. It is important to carefully research and consider the safety and availability of all components before proceeding with your project.

Related to Solution with high specific heat.

What is the definition of high specific heat in a solution?

High specific heat in a solution refers to the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of the solution by a certain amount. It is a measure of how resistant a solution is to changes in temperature.

Why is it important to have a solution with high specific heat?

A solution with high specific heat is important because it can act as a temperature buffer, meaning it can absorb or release large amounts of heat energy without significantly changing its own temperature. This can help regulate temperature changes in the surrounding environment.

What are some examples of solutions with high specific heat?

Water is a common example of a solution with high specific heat. Other examples include certain metal alloys, ammonia, and ethylene glycol.

How does high specific heat affect the properties of a solution?

A solution with high specific heat will have a slower rate of temperature change compared to a solution with low specific heat. It can also have a stabilizing effect on the overall temperature of a system.

Are there any disadvantages to using a solution with high specific heat?

One potential disadvantage of using a solution with high specific heat is that it may require more energy to heat or cool compared to a solution with lower specific heat. Additionally, in some cases, a high specific heat solution may not be ideal for certain industrial processes where precise temperature control is necessary.