How Many Integer Solutions Exist for the Equation |x|+|y|+|z|=2010?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the solution to |x|+|y|+|z|=2010 is an infinite set of ordered triples (x, y, z), with a range of possible values from -2010 to 2010. Negative values are also possible, and there are no restrictions on the solution. This equation can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating distances, determining possible combinations, and solving optimization problems.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
How many ordered triples of integers $(x,\,y,\,z)$ satisfy the equation $|x|+|y|+|z|=2010$?

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MHB!

As usual, I will extend the period of solving last week's POTW until next week! I hope members will try to take a stab at the problem again and I am looking forward to receiving members' solution!

Hello MHB!

I want to apologize for I am late for a day to perform my duty as a director of Problem of the Week. I was (and still am) swamped with lots of work and how the prolong pandemic affected my mental well-being, and how sleep constantly eludes me and a lot of other personal issues have put me through wringer for the past week or so. Having said all that, it is utterly important at the end of the day we have to believe that we are braver than we believe, stronger than we seem and smarter than we think! (Bigsmile)

Enough is enough for the explanation and now, let me get back to business! I want to thank to Opalg for his correct solution to last two weeks' POTW, which you can find below:
For a positive integer $n$, the surface with equation $|x|+ |y| + |z| = n$ is an octahedron, with 6 vertices, 12 edges and 8 triangular faces. The points on the octahedron with integer coordinates can be counted as follows:

there is one such point at each vertex, giving a total of $6$ points;
there are $n-1$ such points on each edge (not counting the endpoints at the vertices), giving a total of $12(n-1)$ points;
there are $\frac12(n-1)(n-2)$ such points in the interior of each face, giving a total of $4(n-1)(n-2)$ points.

So the total number of points in the lattice is $6 + 12(n-1) + 4(n-1)(n-2) = 4n^2+2$.

When $n = 2010$ that is equal to $4*2010^2 + 2 = 16\,160\,402.$

Related to How Many Integer Solutions Exist for the Equation |x|+|y|+|z|=2010?

1. What is the solution to |x|+|y|+|z|=2010?

The solution to |x|+|y|+|z|=2010 is not a single set of numbers, but rather an infinite number of solutions. This is because the absolute value function can result in positive or negative values, and any combination of these values can add up to 2010.

2. How many solutions are there to |x|+|y|+|z|=2010?

As mentioned before, there are an infinite number of solutions to this equation. This is because there are no restrictions on the values of x, y, and z, and any combination of positive and negative values can add up to 2010.

3. Can the solution to |x|+|y|+|z|=2010 be written in a specific form?

No, the solution cannot be written in a specific form. As stated previously, there are an infinite number of solutions and they can take on any combination of positive and negative values. Therefore, it is not possible to write a single equation or expression to represent all solutions.

4. Are there any real number solutions to |x|+|y|+|z|=2010?

Yes, there are real number solutions to this equation. In fact, all solutions to this equation will be real numbers since the absolute value function always returns a positive value. However, there are also complex number solutions since the equation does not specify that x, y, and z must be real numbers.

5. Is it possible to graph the solutions to |x|+|y|+|z|=2010?

It is not possible to graph all solutions to this equation on a 2-dimensional graph, since it involves three variables. However, it is possible to graph individual solutions by fixing the values of two variables and solving for the third. This would result in a 2-dimensional graph with a line or curve representing the solution. However, since there are an infinite number of solutions, it is not practical to graph them all.