Solution to vector equation involving vector product

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution of vector X using text from Alan F. Beardon Algebra and Geometry. It is mentioned that X cannot be equal to b when a x b is not equal to 0. The conversation also explores the possibility of factoring out x from the left-hand side of the equation. Various methods are suggested for solving vector equations, including using non-coplanar vectors and the vector triple product. The conversation ends with a discussion on how to collect terms of x in the given equation.
PcumP_Ravenclaw
I want to find the solution of vector X. I am using text from Alan F. Beardon Algebra and Geometry as attached. I don't know how the solution is derived for the following equation.

## x + (x × a) = b ##

The second solution when ## a \times b \neq 0 ## then X cannot be b. Is it possible to factorize x out from the Left-hand-side of the above equation?

Attachments

• Vector_Equations.jpg
    Vector_Equations.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 523
Mathematics news on Phys.org
PcumP_Ravenclaw said:
I want to find the solution of vector X. I am using text from Alan F. Beardon Algebra and Geometry as attached. I don't know how the solution is derived for the following equation.

## x + (x × a) = b ##

The second solution when ## a \times b \neq 0 ## then X cannot be b. Is it possible to factorize x out from the Left-hand-side of the above equation?
It seems to me that you're missing the point, which is not to solve the equation, but only to determine whether it has one or more solutions.

The assumption is that you have two solutions -- let's call them x1 and x2. How they were obtained is not important. In the page whose image you included, they assume that y is the difference of any two solutions, so y = x1 - x2. Continue from here.

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
When you expand the vector equation as 3 scalars in terms of the components of x, you will have 3 linear equations in 3 unknowns. There is no way to factor out x.

For solving vector equations like the one you got, there is a method. Since a,b and axb are 3 non-coplanar vectors, you can take
##x=ma+nb+p(a*b)##
Just like you take x=ai+bj+ck.
Where m,n,p are scalars.

Try finding the values of m,n,p by substituting the value of x in the given vector equation.

I am sorry @Mark44 for providing the solution.

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
There is no natural multiplication of vectors in ## \mathbb R^3 ## that allows you to factor.
EDIT I meant other than the obvious dot and cross products; then some expressions containing
both may be at times factorable, but not otherwise.

Hey @AdityaDev, A & B are not necessarily orthogonal so it is not exactly like ai + bj + ck where i, j & k are mutually orthogonal! so??

PcumP_Ravenclaw said:
Hey @AdityaDev, A & B are not necessarily orthogonal so it is not exactly like ai + bj + ck where i, j & k are mutually orthogonal! so??
It doesn't matter. I have solved many questions using this method.
In certain questions, you have to use logic.
Example: Solve $$ \vec{r}\times\vec{b}=\vec{a}\times\vec{b}$$
Given r.c=0

Aditya's missing explanations in the above post can be found in this attachment!

Why do we want to find the vector X with basis ## a, b, a \times b ## ?

Why not in simple ##i, j, k##? Is it because it is simplest and cancels out easily in the equation ##x + (x \times a) = b##

Then why is each component ## x_1 , x_2 , x_3 ## not divided by the scalar triple product ## [a, b, a \times b] ## e.g.

## X = [X, b, a \times b]/[a, b, a \times b]*x_1 + [a, X, a \times b]/[a, b, a \times b]*x_2 + [a, b,X]/[a, b, a \times b]*x_3 ##

Attachments

• Vector_Equations2.jpg
    Vector_Equations2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
PcumP_Ravenclaw said:
Aditya's missing explanations in the above post can be found in this attachment!
It was a question for you to practice. I already knew the solution.

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
I have attached my attempt at finding ##x_1 , x_2, x_3##. How do I simplify further??

Attachments

• Vector_Equations3.jpg
    Vector_Equations3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 486
PcumP_Ravenclaw said:
I have attached my attempt at finding ##x_1 , x_2, x_3##. How do I simplify further??
What you have done is correct.
Capture.PNG

Now, expand (axb)xa.
(axb)xa=(a.a)b-(a.b)a ---> Vector triple product.
Now you will get :

Capture2.PNG

Then expand the last term to get ##X_3|a|^2\vec{b}-X_3(a.b)\vec{a}##
Now you will get this expression :
Capture3.PNG

then group axb and bxa terms as you can express axb as -bxa.
then group the terms with vector a.
also group the terms of vector b.
So you have three terms.
Then equate the coefficients of all vectors other than b like a and axb to find x1,x2,x3.

Hey @AdityaDev, thanks for your help. I was not that familiar with vector triple product so I could not spot the expansion of ##a \times b \times a ## into (a.a)b - (a.b)a.

EDIT: equate the coefficients of all vectors other than b "to zero". Now you can find x1, x2, x3.
Did you get the correct answer?

PcumP_Ravenclaw said:

## x + (x × a) = b ##

PcumP_Ravenclaw said:

## x + (x × a) = b ##

First take the cross product with a on both sides,
This should give you , (b-x) + (a.x)a - (|a|^2)x = b×a...(equation 1)here I have substituted x × a as b-x,
Substitute value of a.x by using a second equation , in which you take dot product on both sides of the original equation , x.a + (x×a).a= b.a
Which gives x.a + 0 = b.a
Now substitute a.x as b.a

This should allow you to collect terms of x.

Last edited:
Ananya0107 said:
First take the cross product with a on both sides,
This should give you , (b-x) + (a.x)a - (|a|^2)x = b×a
Substitute value of a.x by using a second equation , in which you take dot product on both sides of the original equation , such tha
a.x + 0 = b.a
This should allow you to collect terms of x.
You will get (a.x)a=(b-x)×a + kx
also, you can't find a.x from this equation because it is grouped with a vector and if you thought this: $$a.x=\frac{(b-x)\times\vec{a}+kx}{\vec{a}}$$
Then you are wrong.
You can however find the value of vector a.

Please see the edited post above .

Likes AdityaDev
Hi, can you all answer my questions??

Why do we want to find the vector X with basis ##a, b, a \times b## ?

Why not in simple ##i,j,k##? Is it because it is simplest and cancels out easily in the equation## x+(x×a)=bx + (x \times a) = b##

Then why is each component ## x_1 , x_2 , x_3## not divided by the scalar triple product ##[a, b, a \times b]## e.g.

## X=[X,b,a \times b]/[a,b,a \times b]∗x_1+[a,X,a \times b]/[a,b,a \times b]∗x_2+[a,b,X]/[a,b,a \times b]∗x_3 ##

Thanks!

Last edited:
a, b, and a×b are a set of non coplanar vectors and any vector in three dimensional space can be expressed as a linear combination of three non-coplanar vectors,( just like i, j, k)

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
Hey @Ananya0107, Can you explain why was a, b and a x b selected why not any other vector as you say " any vector in three dimensional space can be expressed as a linear combination of three non-coplanar vectors,( just like i, j, k)"?

Thanks!

The question contained the vectors a and b so it is easier to express the required vector x in terms of a , b and a×b , it is just easier for computation .

Related to Solution to vector equation involving vector product

What is a vector product?

A vector product, also known as a cross product, is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to form a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x".

How do you solve a vector equation involving vector product?

To solve a vector equation involving vector product, you need to first take the cross product of the two vectors on one side of the equation. Then, you can equate the resulting vector to the vector on the other side of the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

What is the physical significance of a vector product?

A vector product has physical significance in physics and engineering, as it is used to represent quantities such as torque, angular momentum, and magnetic fields. It is also used to calculate the direction and magnitude of a force acting on a moving object.

Can a vector product be negative?

Yes, a vector product can be negative. The sign of the vector product will depend on the direction of the two vectors being multiplied. If the two vectors are parallel or anti-parallel, the vector product will be zero. If they are perpendicular, the vector product will be positive or negative depending on the direction of rotation.

What are some real-life applications of vector product?

Vector product has many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate moments of inertia, determine the direction of magnetic fields, and create 3D graphics in computer games and animation.