Solution to Momentum Principle Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a physics problem and being reminded to follow the forum rules by showing their work and explaining their reasoning. They also discuss the difference between two statements related to force and momentum.
C R P
View the attached picture that is the problem that I need help with.

Attachments

• Phys.png
    Phys.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

C R P said:
View the attached picture that is problem I need help with.
Hello C R P. Welcome to PF !

Please read the rules for this Forum.

We cannot give help without you showing your work or your reasoning as to why you gave your answers. (Also, you should not give solutions to other people who don not show work.)

Please explain why you checked or didn't check each answer. Please indicate what is expected of you on this exercise.

attachment.php?attachmentid=54824&d=1358479795.png

C R P said:
View the attached picture that is problem I need help with.

Check your PMs, and start showing your work (and explaining your proposed answers) here.

Bloody Hell, I've done 2 years of physics but I'm just doing something wrong with problem yet it's so basic.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??

*Is this good?

C R P said:
Bloody Hell, I've done 2 years of physics but I'm just doing something wrong with problem yet it's so basic.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??

*Is this good?
Not too bloody good.

Which items are you sure of?

Which are you not very sure of, and why did you give those tentative answers.?

Ah it's too late now the home work was due at 11:59

I know Δp=FnetΔt and ΔP=mv

One question i do have is whether force parralel +force perpindicular are considered F net or not I feel like it should be F|| cross Fp

C R P said:
Ah it's too late now the home work was due at 11:59

I know Δp=FnetΔt and ΔP=Δ(mv)

One question i do have is whether force parallel +force perpendicular are considered F net or not I feel like it should be F|| cross Fp
Written as vectors, as in the very first item: Yes, force parallel +force perpendicular = force, probably net force, depending on the context

What is the difference between the following two statements?
[itex]\displaystyle \vec{P}=\vec{F}_{\text{net}}\Delta t[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \vec{P}_\text{f}=\vec{P}_\text{i}+\vec{F}_{ \text{net}}\Delta t[/itex]​
?

Related to Solution to Momentum Principle Problem

What is the momentum principle problem?

The momentum principle problem is a physics concept that states that the change in an object's momentum is equal to the net force acting on the object.

How can the momentum principle problem be applied in real life?

The momentum principle problem can be applied in many real-life situations, such as calculating the force and distance needed to stop a moving vehicle, predicting the recoil of a firearm, or analyzing the impact of collisions in sports.

What is the formula for solving the momentum principle problem?

The formula for solving the momentum principle problem is: F = Δp/Δt, where F is the net force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the change in time.

What are the units for momentum and force?

Momentum is measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg•m/s), while force is measured in Newtons (N).

What are some common misconceptions about the momentum principle problem?

Some common misconceptions about the momentum principle problem include thinking that the larger the mass of an object, the greater its momentum, when in reality, momentum also depends on the object's velocity. Another misconception is that momentum can only be conserved in a closed system, when it can also be conserved in open systems as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.