Solution to Gravitation Problem - Third Mass on Perpendicular Bisector

• Thread starter toothpaste666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, two identical point masses, each of mass M, are separated by a distance of 2R and a third mass m is placed at a distance x along the perpendicular bisector. The gravitational force on the third mass is directed inward along the perpendicular bisector and has a magnitude of F = \frac{2GMmx}{(x^2+R^2)^\frac{3}{2}}. This can be proven by breaking down the force into components in the x- and y-directions and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant force. The y-components cancel out due to symmetry, leaving the resultant force with only an x-component. This proves the direction of the force.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

Two identical point masses, each of mass M, always remain separated by a distance of 2R. A third mass m, is then placed a distance x along the perpendicular bisector of the original two masses. (Picture attached.) Show that the gravitational force on the third mass is directed inward along the perpendicular bisector and has a magnititude of :

[itex] F = \frac{2GMmx}{(x^2+R^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] F=G\frac{m1m2}{r^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I figured out the magnitude of the force of gravitation between one of the two mass Ms and the third mass m. To find the distance between them I used the Pythagorean theorem where:

[itex] r^2 = x^2 + R^2[/itex]

plugging this and the two masses into the gravitation formula:

[itex] F = G\frac{Mm}{x^2+R^2} [/itex]

That is the magnitude of the force of gravitation between each M and m. To find the magnitude and direction of the total force I should find the vector sum of these two forces? This is where I end up lost. The Pythagorean theorem won't work here. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I know that after i find the magnitude of the resultant force I can use arctan to find the direction.

Attachments

• pointmasses.jpg
    pointmasses.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,069
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: use vectors for the attractive force applied by each mass M on the smaller mass 'm'. Find the resultant of these two attractive forces on 'm'.

You need to resolve the force into components in the x- and y directions. This will involve sines and cosines in right triangles. Geometrically, what is the cosine of the angle between the force and the bisector?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You need to resolve the force into components in the x- and y directions. This will involve sines and cosines in right triangles. Geometrically, what is the cosine of the angle between the force and the bisector?

Chet

so if i take the force between one of the two Ms and m and break it into components, its y component would be:

[itex] \frac{GMmSin(theta)}{x^2+R^2}[/itex]

and its x component would be:

[itex] \frac{GMmCos(theta)}{X^2+R^2} [/itex]

then i do the same of the other force and add the components of the two forces so that the y components would cancel out and become 0 (same magnitude except one is above and one below the x axis) and the net x component would be [itex] \frac{2GMmCos(theta)}{X^2+R^2} [/itex]

Then the resultant vector would be the radical of that squared? but that doesn't leave me with the answer I am supposed to be getting. I am still missing something =[ am I at least heading in the right direction? I am so lost lol

toothpaste666 said:
so if i take the force between one of the two Ms and m and break it into components, its y component would be:

[itex] \frac{GMmSin(theta)}{x^2+R^2}[/itex]

and its x component would be:

[itex] \frac{GMmCos(theta)}{X^2+R^2} [/itex]

then i do the same of the other force and add the components of the two forces so that the y components would cancel out and become 0 (same magnitude except one is above and one below the x axis) and the net x component would be

[itex] \frac{2GMmCos(theta)}{X^2+R^2} [/itex]

Then the resultant vector would be the radical of that squared? but that doesn't leave me with the answer I am supposed to be getting. I am still missing something =[ am I at least heading in the right direction? I am so lost lol
Yes. You're heading in the right direction. Now, what is cosθ in terms of the sides of a right triangle? (Hint: there was a right triangle involved when you used the Pythagorean theorem).

Likes 1 person
ahh i see!

[itex] Cos(theta) = \frac{adj}{hyp} = \frac{x}{(R^2+x^2)^\frac{1}{2}} [/itex]

this would make the magnitude of the force

[itex] \frac{2GMmx}{(x^2+R^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/itex]

thank you! :)

I've proved the magnitude, is showing the y components cancel out enough to prove the direction? or do i have to use arctan (y component/ x component) ?

toothpaste666 said:
ahh i see!

[itex] Cos(theta) = \frac{adj}{hyp} = \frac{x}{(R^2+x^2)^\frac{1}{2}} [/itex]

this would make the magnitude of the force

[itex] \frac{2GMmx}{(x^2+R^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/itex]

thank you! :)
I've proved the magnitude, is showing the y components cancel out enough to prove the direction?
Sure. You can see by symmetry that the y components cancel out.

Related to Solution to Gravitation Problem - Third Mass on Perpendicular Bisector

What is Gravitation Problem?

Gravitation problem is a scientific concept that deals with the force of attraction between objects with mass. This phenomenon is governed by Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation which states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What causes Gravitation Problem?

The cause of gravitation problem is the presence of mass in objects. According to Newton's law, every object with mass exerts a gravitational force on other objects with mass. This force is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, and objects on the surface of the Earth from floating off into space.

How is Gravitation Problem measured?

The force of gravitational attraction between two objects can be calculated using the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of attraction, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. This equation allows scientists to measure the strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

What are some real-life applications of Gravitation Problem?

Gravitation problem has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in the design and operation of satellites, space probes, and other spacecraft. It also plays a crucial role in the formation and stability of celestial bodies such as planets, stars, and galaxies. Additionally, the gravitational force between objects on Earth is responsible for the weight of objects and the tides in our oceans.

How does Gravitation Problem relate to other scientific theories?

Gravitation problem is closely related to other scientific theories, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity. While Newton's law of universal gravitation is a classical theory, general relativity provides a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of gravitation by incorporating the effects of space and time. Other theories, such as quantum mechanics, also play a role in our understanding of gravitation at a subatomic level.