Solution to Associate Legendre's Eq

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Associate
In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions to a differential equation involving associated Legendre polynomials and the associated Legendre equation. The solutions are a linear combination of the first and second associated Legendre polynomials for m=1 and can be solved numerically for other values of m. Mathematica can be used to find the solutions analytically or numerically.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm trying to find solutions to $$g''(\theta) + \cot\theta g'(\theta) +\left( 2-\frac{m^2}{\sin\theta}\right)g(\theta)=0 : m\in\mathbb N\\
g'(\pi/2) = 0.$$

I input this into Mathematica as
Matlab:
DSolve[{g''[\[Theta]] +
     Cot[\[Theta]] g'[\[Theta]] + (2 - m^2/
        Sin[\[Theta]]^2) g[\[Theta]] == 0, g'[\[Pi]/2] == 0},
  g[\[Theta]], \[Theta]] // FullSimplify
(with ##m## being cleared) and output is a linear combination of the first and second associated Legendre polynomials. If you plot the output (ignoring the constant from integration) from ##[0,\pi/2]## we see this only gives non-trivial solutions for ##m=1##.

However, if I specify ##m## beforehand Mathematica outputs a good solution, but it does not output a solution as a function of ##m## for all ##m\geq 2##. I know one has to exist. Does anyone know the solution and also how to find it in Mathematica?

Physics news on Phys.org
The associated Legendre equation reads,
$$g''(\theta)+\cot(\theta)g'(\theta)+[l(l+1)-m^2\frac{1}{\sin^2\theta}]g(\theta)=0,$$ where ##m=-l,-l+1,...,l##.
So, in your case you have ##l=1##. The solutions are as you found the associated legendre polynomials. However, I cannot see why you want the solutions for other values of ##m##. It doesn't make sense. For general values of ##m##, I don't think you will have a analytical solution.
You can of course still solve it numerically. In Mathematica, I guess you can use NDSolve or ParametricNDSolve. The routine you used, I believe is for analytical solutions.

Related to Solution to Associate Legendre's Eq

1. What is the Solution to Associate Legendre's Equation?

The solution to Associate Legendre's equation is a set of functions that satisfy the differential equation of the same name. These functions are used in physics and mathematics to solve problems related to spherical harmonics and potential theory.

2. What is the significance of Associate Legendre's Equation?

Associate Legendre's equation is significant because it is a special case of the more general Legendre's equation, which has applications in a wide range of fields such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. The solution to this equation allows for the expansion of functions in terms of spherical harmonics, which is useful in solving problems with spherical symmetry.

3. How is Associate Legendre's Equation solved?

The solution to Associate Legendre's equation can be found using various methods such as the Frobenius method, the power series method, and the method of separation of variables. These methods involve manipulating the equation to reduce it to a more manageable form and then finding the solution through integration and substitution.

4. What are the boundary conditions for the Solution to Associate Legendre's Equation?

The boundary conditions for the solution to Associate Legendre's equation depend on the specific problem being solved. However, in general, the solution must be finite at the origin and must satisfy certain conditions at infinity, such as decaying to zero or being bounded.

5. What are the applications of the Solution to Associate Legendre's Equation?

The solution to Associate Legendre's equation has various applications in physics and mathematics. It is used in solving problems related to spherical harmonics, potential theory, and the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field. It is also used in solving differential equations with spherical symmetry, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Laplace equation.