Solution Set for cot-1(x)2 -(5 cot-1(x)) +6 >0?

In summary, the solution set of the inequality (cot-1(x))2 -(5 cot-1(x)) +6 >0 is x∈(-∞,cot3)∪(cot2,∞), where the wavy curve method is used to determine the solution set by finding the intervals where arccot(x) is less than 2 or greater than 3. The arccotangent function used in this course has a range of (-∞,∞).
takando12

Homework Statement

Solution set of the inequality (cot-1(x))2 -(5 cot-1(x)) +6 >0 is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Subs cot-1(x)=y
We get a quadratic inequality in y.
y2-5y+6>0
(y-2)(y-3)>0
Using the wavy curve method, the solution set is,
y∈(-∞,2) ∪(3,∞)
So cot-1(x)<2 and cot-1(x)>3
Taking cot on both sides of the inequality,
x<cot2 and x>cot3
x∈(-∞,cot2) ∪(cot3,∞)
Yet the answer is (-∞,cot3)∪(cot2,∞).
I'm guessing that in the step where I take cot on both sides, I'll have to change the inequality signs as arccot is a decreasing function. Is that where the problem lies?

Physics news on Phys.org
An idea: I think you have to mind if ##\cot 2>\cot 3## or ##\cot 3>\cot 2.##

takando12 said:

Homework Statement

Solution set of the inequality (cot-1(x))2 -(5 cot-1(x)) +6 >0 is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Subs cot-1(x)=y
We get a quadratic inequality in y.
y2-5y+6>0
(y-2)(y-3)>0
Using the wavy curve method, the solution set is,
y∈(-∞,2) ∪(3,∞)
So cot-1(x)<2 and cot-1(x)>3
Taking cot on both sides of the inequality,
x<cot2 and x>cot3
x∈(-∞,cot2) ∪(cot3,∞)
Yet the answer is (-∞,cot3)∪(cot2,∞).
I'm guessing that in the step where I take cot on both sides, I'll have to change the inequality signs as arccot is a decreasing function. Is that where the problem lies?

What is the "wavy curve method"?

To clarify the answer you were given, plot the curve ##y = \text{arccos}(x)## over a broad range of ##x##, such as ##-10 \leq x \leq 10## to see what the regions ##\text{arccos}(x) < 2## and ##\text{arccos}(x) > 3## look like along the ##x##-axis.

@takando12 ,

What is the range of the arccotangent function as you are using it in your course?

upload_2016-5-25_7-8-37.png

The plot of y=arccotan(x). In what interval of x is y≤2 or y≥3?

Related to Solution Set for cot-1(x)2 -(5 cot-1(x)) +6 >0?

1. How do you solve inverse trig inequalities?

To solve inverse trig inequalities, you need to first isolate the inverse trig function on one side of the inequality. Then, use the inverse trig function to find the possible values of the variable. Finally, write the solution in interval notation.

2. What are the common inverse trig functions used in inequalities?

The three common inverse trig functions used in inequalities are arcsine (sin^-1), arccosine (cos^-1), and arctangent (tan^-1). These functions are also referred to as inverse sine, inverse cosine, and inverse tangent, respectively.

3. Can inverse trig inequalities have multiple solutions?

Yes, inverse trig inequalities can have multiple solutions. This is because inverse trig functions are multi-valued, meaning they have more than one output for a given input. Therefore, when solving an inverse trig inequality, you may end up with multiple possible solutions.

4. How do you graph inverse trig inequalities?

To graph inverse trig inequalities, you can use a graphing calculator or manually plot points by substituting different values for the variable. The resulting graph will be a line or curve that represents all the possible solutions for the inequality.

5. What is the domain and range of inverse trig inequalities?

The domain of inverse trig inequalities is the set of all real numbers that satisfy the inequality. The range is the set of possible values of the inverse trig function for the given inequality. Depending on the specific inverse trig function and inequality, the domain and range may vary.