Solution of unsteady linearized potential flow PDE

In summary, when substituting for (13) in (2), the wrong correlation is found and the potential must oscillate harmonically. To find the solution, Duhamel's principle is used and the double Fourier transformation is applied to all terms of the equation.
MarkoA
Hi,

I have a problem following the solution of a linearized potential flow equation in a publication by Fung.

The problem describes potential flow over an oscillating plate. A boundary layer is approximated by defining a subsonic layer over the panel and supersonic flow above the subsonic flow. From the equation of motion (1) and (2) in combination with a standing wave condition of the wall (8) and traveling wave of the perturbations (9) and (10) it seems to be easy to get the solutions (12) and (13).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20358584/fung1.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20358584/fung2.png

Can anyobody give me hint of how to get to this solution? The paper is the following:
[PLAIN]http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/3.1661[/PLAIN]
http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/3.1661

Many thanks in advance!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20358584/fung3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When I am confronted with "it's easy to see that..." I usually first try substituting the answer into the expression and seeing what happens- sometimes there's an oddball change of variables or trig identity involved.

Likes MarkoA
I don't know. This doesn't help. What could he have done? I've heard that Duhamel's principle could be an approach of solving non-homogenious PDEs like the wave equation. Could the solution have something to do with this approach?

Substituting (13) in (2) gives:
[itex] \begin{equation} [-\frac{1}{a_{\delta}^2} \omega^2 - \frac{2M_{\delta}}{a_{\delta}} \alpha_{\nu}\omega + \beta_{\delta}^2\alpha_{\nu}^2 + \zeta_{\delta}^2] \cdot e^{i(\omega t + \alpha_{\nu} x)} \cdot [C_{\nu} sin(\zeta_{\nu}y ) + D_{\nu} cos(\zeta_{\nu}y) ] = 0 \end{equation} [/itex]

Last edited:
Oh... the substitution was absolutely wrong. I need to find the correlation between the potential and z..

I made some progress to get equation (14) and (15). Not sure if I can already corellate the fourer constant alpha with the wave number.

[tex]
The equation of motion:
\begin{equation}
\frac{1}{a^2}\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial t^2} + \frac{2M}{a} \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x \partial t} + \overline{\beta}^2 \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial y^2}
\label{eq:01}
\end{equation}
The potential must oscillate harmonically:
\begin{equation}
\phi = \Psi(x,y)e^{i\omega t}
\label{eq:02}
\end{equation}
This yields:
\begin{equation}
\Big(\frac{i\omega}{a}\Big)^2\Psi + 2i\frac{\omega M}{a} \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} + \overline{\beta}^2 \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial y^2}
\label{eq:03}
\end{equation}
A double Fourier transformation in x and y:
\begin{equation}
\Psi^* = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i(\gamma y + \alpha x)} \Psi(x,y) dx dy
\label{eq:04}
\end{equation}
If this Fourier transformation is applied to all terms of Eq.~(\ref{eq:03}) then $\Phi^*$ cancels out and (\ref{eq:03}) can be written as:
\begin{equation}
\frac{\omega^2}{a^2} + 2 \frac{\omega M}{a} \alpha + \overline{\beta}^2 \alpha^2 = \gamma^2
\end{equation}
This is equation (14) in the publication from Fung. The same approach for Fungs equation (2) yields (15). Can I already assume that $\gamma$ is $\gamma_{\nu}$ and $\alpha$ is $\alpha_{\nu}$?
[/tex]

Related to Solution of unsteady linearized potential flow PDE

What is unsteady linearized potential flow?

Unsteady linearized potential flow is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of a fluid, such as air or water, in which the fluid density and viscosity are assumed to be constant. This model is commonly used in the study of aerodynamics and hydrodynamics.

What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. In the context of fluid dynamics, PDEs are used to describe the behavior of fluids in a given space and time.

What is the significance of solving the unsteady linearized potential flow PDE?

Solving the unsteady linearized potential flow PDE allows us to predict the behavior of a fluid in a given situation. This is important in various fields, such as aircraft design, weather forecasting, and oceanography. It also helps in understanding the fundamental principles of fluid mechanics.

What are the main steps in solving the unsteady linearized potential flow PDE?

The main steps in solving the unsteady linearized potential flow PDE include: setting up the problem and boundary conditions, linearizing the equations, discretizing the domain, solving the resulting linear system of equations, and interpreting the results.

What are some applications of the solution of unsteady linearized potential flow PDE?

The solution of unsteady linearized potential flow PDE has many practical applications, such as in the design of aircraft and ships, prediction of weather patterns, and studying the behavior of ocean currents and waves. It is also used in the development of renewable energy technologies, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric power plants.