Why Rinse Hair With Vinegar After Shampoo?

In summary, some people rinse their hair with vinegar after washing it with shampoo because shampoos are basic and may disrupt the natural pH balance of the skin on their head. Vinegar may help restore the pH balance and protect against parasites. However, others find this practice strange and the smell of vinegar unpleasant.
majinknight
I was reading something and it said some people rinse their hair with vinegar after washing it with shampoo because shampoos are basic but it never said why they rinse it with vinegar. Do anyone know why they do that as i found it quite odd?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Shampoo is basic, all soaps are basic so that is true.

Maybe these people are concerned with the pH of the skin on their head? Vinegar might restore the natural pH and protect against parasites or something.. There are all these body soaps which have been neutralized to the pH of the skin, they say it is better..

I find it a strange story, vinegar is very smelly, I wouldn't want to wash my hair with it.

Ya i have never rinsed my hair in vinegar and never heard of someone doing it so i thought it sounded quite weird.

If you wanted the pH to balance out, maybe you should rinse your hair with vinegar then soap it up. It should still balance out in the end but you won't stink :D

1. Why should I rinse my hair with vinegar after shampooing?

Rinsing your hair with vinegar after shampooing can help remove any leftover residue from hair products, balance the pH level of your scalp, and add shine to your hair. Vinegar also has antimicrobial properties that can help combat dandruff and other scalp issues.

2. How do I rinse my hair with vinegar?

After shampooing your hair, mix 1 part vinegar with 2-3 parts water in a cup or spray bottle. Pour or spray the mixture onto your hair, making sure to cover all areas. Leave it on for a few minutes, then rinse it out thoroughly with water.

3. What type of vinegar should I use for rinsing my hair?

It is recommended to use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar for rinsing your hair. These types of vinegar have a lower acidity level compared to other types like balsamic or red wine vinegar.

4. Will vinegar make my hair smell bad?

No, as long as you dilute the vinegar with water and rinse it out thoroughly, the smell should not linger in your hair. You can also add a few drops of essential oils to the vinegar mixture to help mask the smell.

5. How often should I rinse my hair with vinegar?

It is recommended to rinse your hair with vinegar 1-2 times a week. Overdoing it can cause dryness and irritation to your scalp. It is best to start with once a week and adjust based on how your hair reacts to the vinegar rinse.