Can quaternions be used to simplify Maxwell's equations?

In summary, quaternions represent the 4-dimensionality and metric used in special relativity. Physical equations can be written with quaternions by taking Maxwell's equations and reducing them to wave equations.
arcnets
This thread is the sequel to my other thread, 'Quaternions and SR'.
My goal is to write some physical equations with quaternions.
Because I think quaternions represent the 4-dimensionality and metric used in special relativity. See:
A quaternion is a generalized complex number:
[tex]
A = a_t + ia_x + ja_y + ka_z
[/tex]
with the fundamental equation
[tex]
i^2 = j^2 = k^2 = ijk = -1.
[/tex]
Quaternions are not commutative, for instance
[tex]
ij = -ji = k.
[/tex]
Let's define
[tex]
A_3 = ia_x + ja_y + ka_z
[/tex]
and the dot and cross products as usual for 3-vectors, then the product of two quaternions is
[tex]
AB = a_tb_t + a_tB_3 + A_3b_t - A_3 \cdot B_3 + A_3 \times B_3.
[/tex]
Thus,
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}(AB - BA) = A_3 \times B_3
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}(AB + BA) = a_tb_t + a_tB_3 + A_3b_t - A_3 \cdot B_3.
[/tex]
Let's define the commutator
[tex]
\left[A,B\right] = \frac{1}{2}(AB - BA)
[/tex]
and the anticommutator
[tex]
\left<A,B\right> = \frac{1}{2}(AB + BA).
[/tex]
Now for physics. Let's define the differential operator
[tex]
\nabla = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + i \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + j \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + k \frac{\partial}{\partial z}.
[/tex]
Then Maxwell's equations can be written
1. Coulomb's law: [tex]
\left<\nabla, E\right> = \nabla_tE - 4\pi J_0
[/tex]
2. Ampere's law: [tex]
\left[\nabla, B\right] = \nabla_tE + 4\pi J_3
[/tex]
3. Faraday's law: [tex]
\left[\nabla, E\right] = -\nabla_tB
[/tex]
4. No magnetic monopoles: [tex]
\left<\nabla, B\right> = \nabla_tB.
[/tex]
Now if we use a vector potental written as a quaternion A, which satisfies Lorentz's condition
[tex]
\nabla_t a_t - \nabla_3 \cdot A_3 = 0
[/tex]
and let
[tex]
E = -\frac{1}{2}\left<\nabla,A\right>
[/tex]
[tex]
B = \frac{1}{2}\left[\nabla,A\right]
[/tex]
then Maxwell's equations reduce nicely to two wave equations:
[tex]
4 \pi J = \frac{1}{2}\left<\nabla^2,A\right>
[/tex]
[tex]
\nabla_t B = \frac{1}{2}\left[\nabla^2,A\right].
[/tex]
That's my result so far. Any comments?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know what you mean, but taking things literally, [itex]\nabla A[/itex] is a quaternion function, but [itex]A \nabla[/itex] is a differential operator. Looking at individual pieces, then for instance, [itex]x (\partial / \partial x) \neq (\partial / \partial x) x [/itex]

Hurkyl,
yes they look like differential operators, but that's no problem. If you analyze my formulae, you'll see:
[tex]
B\nabla = \nabla_t(B-E) - 4 \pi J_3
[/tex]
and
[tex]
E\nabla = \nabla_t(B+E) - 4 \pi J_0.
[/tex]
Similarly for [itex]A\nabla[/itex] and [itex]A\nabla^2[/itex].

"No problem"? - I must have been blind!
Hurkyl, I think you pointed out the weak spot.
Of course, the expressions for dot and cross products don't work if the vectors themselves don't commute.
Maybe that can be repaired with extra definitions... but probably it won't be so elegant...

1. What are Quaternions and Maxwell?

Quaternions and Maxwell refer to two separate concepts in mathematics and physics. Quaternions are a type of mathematical notation used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space. Maxwell refers to the equations formulated by physicist James Clerk Maxwell that describe the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

2. What is the connection between Quaternions and Maxwell's equations?

The connection between Quaternions and Maxwell's equations lies in the use of Quaternions to solve certain problems related to electromagnetic fields. Quaternions have been used to simplify and generalize the vector equations in Maxwell's equations, providing a more elegant and efficient way to solve them.

3. How are Quaternions and Maxwell's equations used in practical applications?

Quaternions and Maxwell's equations have numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. Some examples include designing antennas and circuits, simulating electromagnetic effects in computer graphics, and developing control systems for spacecraft and satellites.

4. Are Quaternions and Maxwell's equations difficult to understand?

While Quaternions and Maxwell's equations may seem complex at first, with proper study and practice, they can be understood and applied effectively. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics to fully comprehend these concepts.

5. Are there any real-world limitations or challenges when using Quaternions and Maxwell's equations?

Like any other mathematical or scientific concept, Quaternions and Maxwell's equations have limitations and challenges. Some of these include the need for specialized software and computing power to solve complex problems, and the difficulty in visualizing and interpreting Quaternions in three-dimensional space.