Cardiac Cycle, Tissue Fluid and Oxygen Dissociation Curve

In summary, the conversation discussed various questions related to biology. The first question was about the difference in pressure between the left ventricle and the aorta during the cardiac cycle. The second question asked about the advantage of temperature on the oxygen dissociation curve of hemoglobin for mammals. The third question asked for two features of capillaries that allow tissue fluid formation. Lastly, the conversation touched on the reabsorption and drainage of remaining tissue fluid by the lymphatic system.
garytse86
Hello people I am currently having problems doing my AS exam paper. Can you please help?

The question is:

During the cardiac cycle, the pressure in the left ventricle falls to a much lower level than in the aorta. Give an explanation for this difference?

I have no idea about this because we were not taught about this.

The second question was:

How the effect of temperature on the oxygen dissociation curve of haemoglobin might be advantageous to mammals?

The third question was:

State two features of capillaries that enable tissue fluid to be formed:

I only can think of one: Basement membrane is permeable so plasma can escape from the blood.

The third question was:

It is estimated that 85% of tissue fluid is reabsorbed at the venous end of a capillary. Describe what happens to the remaining tissue fluid.

It is a three-mark question: but I put:
The rest of tissue fluid is drained into the lymphatic system throught he lymph capillaries. And some fluid bathe the cells.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by garytse86
The question is:

During the cardiac cycle, the pressure in the left ventricle falls to a much lower level than in the aorta. Give an explanation for this difference?
Well, what is the volume of the left ventricle and what is the diameter of the aorta? The aorta is smaller, thus the pressure will be higher.

The second question was:

How the effect of temperature on the oxygen dissociation curve of haemoglobin might be advantageous to mammals?
The dissociation must have the best value for take-up and give-off of oxygen at 37oC?

The third question was:

State two features of capillaries that enable tissue fluid to be formed:

I only can think of one: Basement membrane is permeable so plasma can escape from the blood.
Uhm, let me think. This was way back.. there is something to do with proteins.. First plasma can escape from the blood, but it has to be resorbed to the blood later. Proteins are essential in this process, that is what causes those swollen hunger-bellies.

The third question was:

It is estimated that 85% of tissue fluid is reabsorbed at the venous end of a capillary. Describe what happens to the remaining tissue fluid.
The lymphatic system takes care of it, you are right.

Thanks a lot for your help, it was very useful!:smile:

1. What is the cardiac cycle?

The cardiac cycle refers to the series of events that occur during one complete heartbeat, including the contraction and relaxation of the heart chambers and the flow of blood through the heart and the rest of the body.

2. How does tissue fluid form?

Tissue fluid, also known as interstitial fluid, is formed by the filtration of blood through the walls of capillaries. This fluid contains water, oxygen, nutrients, and other substances that are necessary for the cells in the surrounding tissues to function properly.

3. What role does the oxygen dissociation curve play in the body?

The oxygen dissociation curve illustrates the relationship between the partial pressure of oxygen in the blood and the amount of oxygen that is bound to hemoglobin in red blood cells. This curve is important because it helps to regulate the release of oxygen from hemoglobin to the tissues in the body.

4. How does the cardiac cycle change during exercise?

During exercise, the cardiac cycle increases in speed and intensity to meet the increased demand for oxygen and nutrients in the body. This is achieved through an increase in heart rate and stroke volume, which allows for more blood to be pumped with each heartbeat.

5. What factors affect the oxygen dissociation curve?

The shape of the oxygen dissociation curve can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pH levels, and the presence of certain chemicals in the blood. These factors can alter the affinity of hemoglobin for oxygen and affect the release of oxygen to the tissues.

Back