Solution of an exponential equation

• Thread starter Ali Baig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, an exponential equation is an equation in which one or more variables appear in an exponent. To solve it, one can use logarithms and check the solution for validity. These equations can have more than one solution, but in some cases, there may be no real solutions. The main difference between an exponential and logarithmic equation is the form and the type of variable being solved for. Exponential equations are commonly used in real life situations such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay, as well as in various fields to model natural phenomena and make predictions.
Ali Baig

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve an equation.
128^b - 127^b = 147.058.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried numerical methods like Bisection method and Newton-Raphson, but I need analytical solution.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ali Baig said:
need analytical solution.
What makes you think there is one?

Ali Baig said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve an equation.
128^b - 127^b = 147.058.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried numerical methods like Bisection method and Newton-Raphson, but I need analytical solution.
Thank you.

Those are the only methods that will work in this problem. An analytical solution is not possible.

Related to Solution of an exponential equation

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is an equation in which one or more of the variables appear in an exponent. It typically has the form of y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use logarithms. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation, and then use algebraic techniques to solve for the variable. Be sure to check your solution to make sure it is valid.

3. Can an exponential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an exponential equation can have more than one solution. This is because exponential functions are one-to-one, meaning that each input value (x) corresponds to one and only one output value (y). However, in some cases, the equation may have no real solutions.

4. What is the difference between an exponential equation and a logarithmic equation?

An exponential equation has the form y = ab^x, while a logarithmic equation has the form logb(y) = x. Exponential equations involve solving for the variable in the exponent, while logarithmic equations involve solving for the exponent.

5. How are exponential equations used in real life?

Exponential equations are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They can also be used in fields like biology, finance, and physics to model various natural phenomena and make predictions.