Solution Needed to combine Thrust, Torque and Motion?

In summary: However, further research and exploration into other potential solutions, such as the Hollow Hydraulic Cylinder, may also be beneficial. In summary, you may want to consider the use of an inline helical gear reducer to meet your requirements for your gearbox test rig.
spggodd
I have a problem which I cannot crack, I am currently looking into the use of a universal joints but I want to explorer other routes too.

I am working on a gearbox test rig which requires a means of transmitting a thrust (5000 N), a torque (1800 Nm) and a speed (2000 RPM) all in the same "shaft". There is also a requirement for a 32mm rod to travel through the middle of all this.

I also need a means of providing the thrust load, currently the use of a Hollow Hydraulic Cylinder looks to be the most effective solution.

Space constraint of the system (length) is around 14".

The input side will be attached to a spline, the thrust load will have to be applied to this splined shaft, the output end is open to ideas.

Many Thanks!
Steve

Engineering news on Phys.org
A possible solution to your problem could be the use of an inline helical gear reducer. This would allow you to transmit the thrust load, torque, and speed in a single shaft, while also allowing for the 32mm rod to travel through the center of the reducer. The reducer would provide a reduction ratio which could help lower the speed of the output shaft to the desired 2000 RPM, while also increasing the torque output. Additionally, the space constraints of 14" could be met by selecting a properly sized model of reducer.

Related to Solution Needed to combine Thrust, Torque and Motion?

1. What is the purpose of combining thrust, torque, and motion?

The purpose of combining thrust, torque, and motion is to create a more efficient and effective way to generate movement in a system. By combining these forces, we can achieve greater acceleration and control over the motion of an object.

2. How can we combine thrust, torque, and motion?

There are several ways to combine these forces, depending on the specific application. One method is to use a motor or engine that can produce both thrust and torque simultaneously. Another approach is to use multiple components, such as a propeller and rudder, to achieve the desired movement.

3. What are some real-world examples of combining thrust, torque, and motion?

One example is a rocket, which uses thrust generated by its engines to create motion and torque to control its direction. Another example is a helicopter, which uses both thrust from its main rotor and torque from its tail rotor to achieve motion and directional control.

4. What challenges are involved in combining thrust, torque, and motion?

One challenge is finding the right balance between these forces to achieve the desired movement without causing instability or damage to the system. Another challenge is ensuring that the components used to generate these forces are properly designed and maintained to prevent failure.

5. How can we optimize the combination of thrust, torque, and motion?

To optimize this combination, it is important to carefully design and test the components and their interaction within the system. This may involve using computer simulations or conducting experiments to determine the most efficient and effective way to generate movement. Regular maintenance and adjustments may also be necessary to ensure optimal performance over time.