Solubility of p-block and d-block metals

In summary, the conversation discusses the solubility of p-block and d-block metals' carbonates, sulphides, and hydroxides. It is agreed that all carbonates and sulphides are insoluble, but there is confusion about the solubility of hydroxides. It is mentioned that hydroxides can be insoluble in water, but soluble in the presence of excess OH-. There is also a discussion about Ksp values and whether they are relevant in this context. It is suggested that the statement that all p-block and d-block metal hydroxides are insoluble is only an approximation, as some hydroxides can react with excess strong bases to form salts.
leena19

Homework Statement

Show that,
'In p-block and d-block metals their carbonates,sulphides and hydroxides are insoluble"

I understand that all carbonates are insoluble(except the alkali metal carbonates),
also that all sulphides are insoluble,but it's the solubilty of hydroxides that I'm finding difficult to prove,
the hydroxides of Al,Zn,Sn as I know it are soluble in excess NaOH,so I don't understand how it's right to say all,p-block metal hydroxides are insoluble?
I have the same problem with d-block metals(I'm considering the 3-d series only),
my school notes tell me that all d-block metal hydroxides are soluble in excess NaOH.
so I'm a bit confused here.
I hope someone can tell me which is correct?
the statement or my school notes?or have i just misunderstood the whole thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Amphoterism seems to be a key word here...

Hydroxide can be insoluble in water, but soluble in the presence of excess OH-.

Note, that carbonates - that you have named as insoluble - are generally soluble in the strong acids. This is similar thing (even if completely different :wink:).

--

Honestly, I don't get the question - what does it mean "show that hydroxides are insoluble"? Will listing Ksp values suffice? Or do you have to produce precipitate of each one? Or is someone hoping you will show mathematically that presence of d orbitals means hydroxides must be solid? (in the last case looking for new proof of the Fermat's last theorem may be easier).

--

Thank you so much for responding,sir
Borek said:
Honestly, I don't get the question - what does it mean "show that hydroxides are insoluble"? Will listing Ksp values suffice? Or do you have to produce precipitate of each one? Or is someone hoping you will show mathematically that presence of d orbitals means hydroxides must be solid? (in the last case looking for new proof of the Fermat's last theorem may be easier).

I'm sorry the question is not very clear.It was just something the teacher asked us in our discussion about a month ago and he was unable to finish explaining and I don't think it has anything to do with ksp values cause we were doing it under inorganic chemistry and its definitely not Fermut's theorem,don't know who or what his theorem is,but now I wonder if he was talking about the compounds' solubility in water only.
I know that all sulphides and carbonates are insoluble in water and
You've said,"hydroxides can be insoluble in water",so would it be correct to say that all the carbonates,sulphides and hydroxides formed by metals in the p-block and d-block are insoluble in water ?

Thank you

Don't sir me.

Seems to me like you are mixing more things in one post than I can explain in one day :wink:

Ksp stands for solubility product and is a way of expressing substance solubility. No idea what you mistook it for.

leena19 said:
would it be correct to say that all the carbonates,sulphides and hydroxides formed by metals in the p-block and d-block are insoluble in water ?

That's only an approximation, but quite good one. You just have to remember that hydroxides of some metals can easily react with excess strong bases, creating salts (like sodium zincate for example).

--

Borek said:
Ksp stands for solubility product and is a way of expressing substance solubility. No idea what you mistook it for.

I know what Ksp is.Its just that, we learned it under Physical chemistry only after doing Inorganic chemistry,which is why I thought my sir wouldn't have thought of explaining it using Ksp values.So once again I'm sorry for not being very clear and Thankyou so much for the help,Borek :)

Related to Solubility of p-block and d-block metals

1. What is the difference between p-block and d-block metals when it comes to solubility?

The p-block metals, also known as main group metals, have a tendency to form ionic compounds which are highly soluble in water. On the other hand, d-block metals, also known as transition metals, tend to form covalent compounds which have lower solubility in water.

2. What factors influence the solubility of p-block and d-block metals?

The solubility of both p-block and d-block metals is influenced by several factors, including the nature of the metal ion and the anion it is paired with, the pH of the solution, and the presence of any complexing agents.

3. Are p-block and d-block metals equally soluble in all solvents?

No, the solubility of p-block and d-block metals can vary depending on the solvent they are dissolved in. For example, some d-block metals may be more soluble in organic solvents compared to water.

4. How does the size of the metal ion affect its solubility?

The solubility of p-block and d-block metals generally decreases as the size of the metal ion increases. This is because larger ions have a lower charge density and are therefore less able to interact with the solvent molecules.

5. Can the solubility of p-block and d-block metals be predicted?

The solubility of p-block and d-block metals can be predicted to some extent based on their position in the periodic table. Generally, metals towards the bottom of the periodic table have lower solubility compared to those towards the top. However, other factors such as the presence of ligands or coordination compounds can also affect solubility and make it difficult to predict accurately.