SolidWorks Rotation of Component Problem

In summary, Daniel was trying to rotate an assembled component but was having difficulty. He found that rotating the part by using the Triad method and by selecting the component and moving it using the 'Move Component' icon and selecting 'Rotate Component', rotate by Delta XYZ, and inputting the desired rotation angle was easier than rotating the component on a plane. Skrambles provided advice on how to rotate the component correctly.
HPRF
Hi,

I am having a little bit of difficulty rotating an assembled component in SolidWorks. I have followed the help file to the letter and for some reason the component is not rotating as expected.

I have rotated it using the Triad method described and also by selecting the component and moving it using the the 'Move Component' icon and selecting 'Rotate Component', rotate by Delta XYZ, and inputting the desired rotation angle.

Has anyone else experienced similar difficulty?

Any advice on wether I am doing this correctly or a better alternative for completing this operation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you just trying to get a better look at the part or are you interested in getting it to a specific view to put into a drawing?

If you are just trying to get a better look at the part I would suggest clicking your middle mouse button (clicking down on the scrollwheel) and dragging your mouse. You can then use the wheel to zoom in and out. This takes a little practice, but it's a LOT faster than using the zoom/pan/rotate/roll commands.

If you want a specific view to put into a drawing try using the "Normal To" option in the "View Orientation" dropdown menu after selecting a face or plane. Also, good reference geometry can save you lots and lots of time when you need to work on assemblies and/or drawings.

I may be way off here, but I suspect this might be the same problem I had in the early days.

If the sketch for a part is initially drawn on the wrong plane to fit into the assembly it can be very tricky to re-orient it to the correct plane. Rotating the part 90° in the appropriate direction (in the part file) is a possible fix but it is not elegant and can still give you problems with the assembly if you are trying to animate it or do analysis on it.

I ended up re-drawing the part on the plane that presented it in the correct orientation for the rest of the assembly in the end.

Hi,

I think you're getting the right idea of what I'm trying to do Bandit, but I'm rotating it on a plane not from a plane.

All parts are drawn onto the one plan for the assembled component and I am trying to rotate it by 45 Degrees with respect to the other component.

It's a device that is being attached to the end of a pipe with a probe protruding into the pipe and attached at the end. It it is the probe component that I am trying to rotate with respect to the pipe component.

Thanks for the reply Skrambles, but I'm not having trouble with viewing the assembled components.

Regards,

Daniel

Why don't you just use your mates to rotate the component? You can set an angle between planes under the mate menu instead of setting the planes to be coincident, or you can create a new reference plane through the part and use that to mate the parts.

Like I said before, using good reference geometry when the part is modeled will prevent these "problems" and make your assemblies much easier to work with.

Thanks for the advice guys, I got it to rotate...

Related to SolidWorks Rotation of Component Problem

1. What is the "SolidWorks Rotation of Component Problem"?

The "SolidWorks Rotation of Component Problem" refers to a common issue encountered by users of the SolidWorks CAD software when attempting to rotate a component within an assembly. It occurs when the rotation axis does not align with the desired direction, resulting in unexpected or incorrect rotations.

2. What causes the "SolidWorks Rotation of Component Problem"?

There are several potential causes for this problem, including incorrect mating conditions, incorrect assembly constraints, or misaligned coordinate systems. It can also occur if the component being rotated is not properly constrained within the assembly.

3. How can I fix the "SolidWorks Rotation of Component Problem"?

The best way to fix this problem is to carefully check and adjust the mating conditions and assembly constraints for the component in question. It may also be helpful to check the coordinate systems and make sure they are aligned properly. If the problem persists, you may need to review the constraints and mates for other components in the assembly.

4. Are there any tips for avoiding the "SolidWorks Rotation of Component Problem"?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help prevent this problem from occurring. First, make sure all components are properly constrained within the assembly before attempting to rotate them. It can also be helpful to double-check all mating conditions and constraints to ensure they are correct. Additionally, regularly saving your work and creating backup files can help avoid losing progress if the problem does occur.

5. Is there any additional support available for the "SolidWorks Rotation of Component Problem"?

Yes, there are many online resources and forums available for SolidWorks users to seek help and advice for this problem. Additionally, the SolidWorks Help section and customer support team can provide guidance and assistance in resolving the issue. It may also be helpful to consult with other experienced SolidWorks users for tips and advice.