Solids and Structures - Vector question

In summary, the question asks to determine the vector components of the force exerted by the rope BC on the bar AB at point B, with a magnitude of 800 N. The student is familiar with dot and cross products but is unsure how to apply them to this specific problem. They have attempted to solve it but have not found the correct answer yet. The given answer is -396i - 476j - 79k N, and the student is advised to list relevant equations and show their attempts for someone to check their math.
J.Halliwell

Homework Statement

The rope BC exerts an 800 N force F on the bar
AB at B. Determine the vector components of F
parallel to the bar.

9pqtyf.jpg

Homework Equations

I already know how to complete dot product (e.g. a.b), cross product (e.g. axb) and understand the basic principles of these ideas but don't know how to use these within the question asked to get the answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already been given the solution to the question but all my workings that I have done so far have not produced the correct answer. The answer is Ans: -396i –476j – 79k N

Physics news on Phys.org
J.Halliwell: The given answer is correct. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your attempt(s); and then someone might check your math.

it is important to understand the principles and equations involved in solving a problem, rather than just relying on the given solution. In this case, the principles of vector components and dot product can be applied to solve the problem.

First, we need to understand that the rope BC exerts a force on the bar AB at point B, which can be represented as a vector (800 N) in the direction of the rope. To find the vector components of this force parallel to the bar, we need to break down the force vector into its components along the x, y, and z axes.

Using the dot product formula, we can find the component of the force vector along the x-axis:

F_parallel = F · cosθ

Where θ is the angle between the force vector and the x-axis. In this case, θ = 0°, so cosθ = 1.

Therefore, F_parallel = 800 N · 1 = 800 N in the x-direction.

Similarly, we can find the component along the y-axis:

F_parallel = F · sinθ

Where θ is the angle between the force vector and the y-axis. In this case, θ = 90°, so sinθ = 0.

Therefore, F_parallel = 800 N · 0 = 0 N in the y-direction.

Lastly, we can find the component along the z-axis:

F_parallel = F · sinθ

Where θ is the angle between the force vector and the z-axis. In this case, θ = 90°, so sinθ = 0.

Therefore, F_parallel = 800 N · 0 = 0 N in the z-direction.

Therefore, the vector components of the force parallel to the bar are 800 N in the x-direction, 0 N in the y-direction, and 0 N in the z-direction. This can be represented as a vector as -800i + 0j + 0k N.

It is important to understand the principles and equations involved in solving a problem rather than just relying on the given solution. This will not only help in solving similar problems in the future but also in understanding the underlying concepts of the problem.

Related to Solids and Structures - Vector question

What is a vector in the context of solids and structures?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In the context of solids and structures, vectors are used to represent forces, moments, and displacements.

How are vectors represented in solid and structure analysis?

Vectors are typically represented by arrows, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector in the context of solids and structures?

A scalar is a mathematical quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. In solids and structures, scalars are used to represent quantities like mass and temperature, while vectors are used to represent forces, moments, and displacements.

How are vectors used in structural analysis?

Vectors are used in structural analysis to determine the forces and moments acting on a structure, as well as the resulting displacements. By representing these quantities as vectors, engineers can use mathematical equations to analyze the stability and strength of a structure.

What is the principle of superposition in solid and structure analysis?

The principle of superposition states that the total effect of multiple forces acting on a structure is equal to the sum of the effects of each individual force. In other words, the net force on a structure is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on it.