Solidification of CaCO3 and CaHPO4

• Thread starter moshe zaguri
  • Start date
In summary: When you dry something, the water molecules (H2O) that were present are eliminated as they are turned into vapor. So, technically, what you have left is CaCO3.
moshe zaguri
Hey all,

I Have a powder of CaCO3 which I want to solidify (Hope that the right term)
I don't expect it to be like a lime stone but rather like a cracker that I can hold.

So I tried mixing it with H2O (distilled) and oven-dry it (60c 24h) and I do get a cracker,
The thing is I'm not sure whether it's still only CaCO3 or maybe some reaction have changed it (or part of it).
I followed the previous discussion in PF of CaCO3 reaction with water (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/reactions-of-calcium-carbonate.420445/) but I can't get what happen when you dry the whole thing and take the water out (does the HCO3 condense back to CO3 and connects with the calcium?)

Further more - I want to do the same with but add also CaHPO4 (1/20 the amount of CaCO3).
So if I'll mix them, add water and then dry it, will I get the same materials or any reaction is expected to happen?

Thanks a lot
Moshe

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, if you just want some solid calcium carbonate (a chunk) just get a piece of chalk. When you mixed your calcium carbonate powder a tiny amount of it dissolved. When you then dried it in the oven you evaporated the water and the dissolved calcium carbonate acted as a glue binding the powder particles together as your cracker. You added nothing but water and removed nothing but water so you still have the calcium carbonate you began with.
The calcium hydrogen phosphate also has a very low solubility (0.0316g/100cc cold water) so will react similarly. Since both are calcium compounds there will be no reactions between them and you will simply have chalk with some calcium hydrogen phosphate added.

moshe zaguri said:
I followed the previous discussion in PF of CaCO3 reaction with water (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/reactions-of-calcium-carbonate.420445/) but I can't get what happen when you dry the whole thing and take the water out (does the HCO3 condense back to CO3 and connects with the calcium?)

Yes, if the water you used contained CO2 than CaCO3 can have been dissolved as HCO3- and yes, by heating it turns back into CaCO3. That's the main source of limescale.

Related to Solidification of CaCO3 and CaHPO4

1. What is the process of solidification for CaCO3 and CaHPO4?

The solidification process for CaCO3 and CaHPO4 involves the transformation of these compounds from a liquid or gaseous state to a solid state. This usually occurs through a chemical reaction or cooling process.

2. What factors affect the solidification of CaCO3 and CaHPO4?

The solidification of CaCO3 and CaHPO4 can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants, and presence of impurities. These factors can impact the rate and quality of the solidification process.

3. What are the properties of the solidified forms of CaCO3 and CaHPO4?

The properties of the solidified forms of CaCO3 and CaHPO4 can vary depending on the specific conditions of the solidification process. However, they generally exhibit characteristics such as hardness, brittleness, and resistance to chemical reactions.

4. How is the solidification of CaCO3 and CaHPO4 used in industrial applications?

The solidification of CaCO3 and CaHPO4 is used in various industrial applications, such as in the production of cement, ceramics, and fertilizer. It is also commonly used in water treatment processes to remove impurities and create a solid waste product.

5. What are the potential environmental impacts of the solidification of CaCO3 and CaHPO4?

The solidification of CaCO3 and CaHPO4 can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it can be used to treat and remove harmful substances from water. However, the solid waste generated from this process can also contribute to pollution and other environmental concerns if not properly managed.