Solid State Relay power source

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relays and their function in controlling the output voltage of a circuit. The question is raised about where the relay draws extra power from, and the differences between electro-mechanical and solid state relays are mentioned. The concept of a reed relay is also briefly explained.
booxcar
Hello,

I am not an electrical engineer but I do have a slight background in some electrical engineering concepts. My question is a general one about relays (more specifically solid state relays but I don't think that really changes my question). I understand that a relay gets a small input signal which is used to control the output voltage of the relay. My question is, where does the relay draw the extra power from? All relays must need some external power supply in order to output power that is much greater than the input signal correct? Maybe I am not understanding things about relays because when I am shopping for them, it seems as though no brands suggest a power supply or anything to provide the extra power for the relay output. Any information would be awesome!

Thanks,
Boox

Engineering news on Phys.org
A relay is a switch rather than an 'output voltage'.
Electro-mechanical relays consist of an electromagnet (a coil) which operates a switch when it is energised. The switch can be used to control a separate electrical circuit with its own power supply.
Solid state relays do much the same job but do not use an electro-magnet.
A 'reed relay' is a small switch sometimes operated by a small permanent magnet brough close to the switch.

Related to Solid State Relay power source

1. What is a Solid State Relay (SSR)?

A Solid State Relay is an electronic switching device that uses semiconductor components, such as transistors, to control the flow of electricity. It is used to switch high voltage and high current circuits without any physical contact, making it more reliable and durable than traditional electromagnetic relays.

2. How does a Solid State Relay work?

A Solid State Relay works by using a small control signal, typically from a low voltage source, to switch on or off a larger load circuit. This is achieved through the use of semiconductors, which can handle high voltages and currents without any physical contact between the control and load circuits.

3. What are the advantages of using a Solid State Relay?

There are several advantages to using a Solid State Relay. These include faster switching speeds, longer lifespan, higher reliability, and lower power consumption. They also offer noiseless operation and can be used in a wider temperature range compared to traditional electromagnetic relays.

4. What are some common applications of Solid State Relays?

Solid State Relays are commonly used in a variety of industrial and commercial applications, such as motor control, lighting control, heating and cooling systems, and power supplies. They are also used in medical equipment, traffic control systems, and home automation.

5. How do I choose the right Solid State Relay for my application?

When choosing a Solid State Relay, it is important to consider the load voltage and current requirements, as well as the switching speed and control voltage. It is also important to ensure that the SSR can handle any inrush currents or voltage spikes that may occur. Consulting with a technical expert or referring to the manufacturer's specifications can help determine the best SSR for your specific application.