Solid State Physics: X-Ray scattering

In summary, the conversation discusses Bragg's law and its application to x-ray diffraction in crystals. It explains how to calculate the smallest angle of scattering and the conditions that must be met for constructive interference. It also mentions the complexities of real 3D crystals and the role of zero structure factor in determining crystal structures from x-ray data.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10980752_10204928958360361_5256945004598578166_n.jpg?oh=7fd9defb14be9a9befa0cf5032def429&oe=55576A2C&__gda__=1431534931_425423ae11039486a001b049726e1b11

Homework Equations

Charles Kittel's book on Solid State Physics, chapter 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

In problem 4a, I assumed that when the x-rays hit each atom they will scatter into a spherical wave. Then I calculated the first angle where they give constructive interference, ##2 \theta## using bragg's law.

This is correct, right?

However, in the solutions manual they say that "The first reflection to appear will be the one with the shortest reciprocal lattice vector ##G_{hkl}##, or equivalently, the one corresponding to the longest plane distance ##d_{hkl}##." Why is this statement true? Why does the ##(001## plane give the lowest angle of scattering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh in 4b we get that there is no diffraction after all.. *sigh*. Apparently none of the lattice points fall on Ewald's sphere and this means Laue's diffraction condition is not satisfied. OK then why doesn't Bragg's law apply now ?

Is there nobody who can enlighten me? Or is perhaps my OP a bit unclear?

(a) Bragg's law states:

lambda = 2d_hkl sin(theta), where d_hkl=2 pi/|G_hkl|

Lambda is fixed by the x-ray source, so you can find the smallest angle by looking at sin(theta)=lambda/(2d_hkl)=|G_hkl| sin(theta)/(4pi).

Which value of d or G gives the smallest theta?

(b) Setting the detector at the right angle is not the only condition that must be met. When you draw the usual sketch of Bragg diffraction, how is the angle theta drawn/measured? (See the figure next to "Bragg condition" on the Wiki page)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bragg's_law

(c) should be clear if you understand (b). If not, read the first section of the Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_diffraction

Likes Nikitin
M Quack said:
(a) Bragg's law states:

lambda = 2d_hkl sin(theta), where d_hkl=2 pi/|G_hkl|

Lambda is fixed by the x-ray source, so you can find the smallest angle by looking at sin(theta)=lambda/(2d_hkl)=|G_hkl| sin(theta)/(4pi).

Which value of d or G gives the smallest theta?

(b) Setting the detector at the right angle is not the only condition that must be met. When you draw the usual sketch of Bragg diffraction, how is the angle theta drawn/measured? (See the figure next to "Bragg condition" on the Wiki page)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bragg's_law

(c) should be clear if you understand (b). If not, read the first section of the Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_diffraction

Thank you for those questions. I get now!

(a) Smallest G_hkl gives biggest d_hkl => smallest theta.

(b) The bragg law demands that the incoming and outgoing rays have equal angles. What I used in (a) was not bragg's law, but rather a condition for constructive interference (which reduces to bragg's law when incoming and outgoing rays have equal angles).

I assume my condition for constructive interference is not good enough, because of the extinguishing behaviour of the structure factor?

(c) In a powder, there are so many microcrystals that laue's equations will be fulfilled everywhere, hence the incoming x-ray will be scattered everywhere.

Last edited:
(a) yes
(b) yes. In a real 3D crystal it actually becomes a bit more complex, as the possible Bragg planes are not all parallel and can point in all directions.

Bragg reflections with zero structure factor are yet another complication that can actually help a lot in determining an unknown crystal structure from x-ray data.

(c) yes, keeping in mind that only certain values of 2theta are allowed because only certain values of d_hkl exist.

Related to Solid State Physics: X-Ray scattering

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties of solids, including their structure, electrical, magnetic, and optical properties, using fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

2. How does X-ray scattering work in solid state physics?

X-ray scattering is a technique used in solid state physics to study the structure of materials at the atomic level. X-rays are directed at a material and the scattered X-rays are analyzed, providing information about the arrangement of atoms in the material.

3. What types of information can be obtained from X-ray scattering in solid state physics?

X-ray scattering can provide information about the crystal structure, lattice parameters, and defects in a material. It can also be used to study the electronic and magnetic properties of materials.

4. What are the advantages of using X-ray scattering in solid state physics?

X-ray scattering is a non-destructive technique that can provide detailed information about the atomic structure of a material without physically altering it. It is also a highly sensitive technique, capable of detecting small changes in the structure of a material.

5. How is X-ray scattering used in practical applications?

X-ray scattering is used in a variety of industries, including materials science, pharmaceuticals, and electronics. It is used to study the structure and properties of materials, as well as to monitor the production and quality control of various products.