Solid State Physics- Finding concentration of donor atoms (Nd)

In summary, at T= 300K, silicon contains acceptor atoms at Na = 5*10^15 cm-3. Donor atoms are added to form an n-type compensated semiconductor with a fermi level 0.215 eV below the conduction band edge. The equation (ni^2) = (Nd- 5*10^15) * powhere ni is the intrinsic carrier concentration and po is the hole concentration is used, but the concentration of donor atoms (Nd) is unknown. Further assistance is needed to solve this problem.
Matt1234

Homework Statement

Silicon at T= 300K contains acceptor atoms at a concentration of Na = 5*10^15 cm-3. Donor atoms are added forming an n-type compensated semiconductor such that the fermi level is 0.215 eV below the conduction band edge. What concentration of donor atoms are added?

Homework Equations

I have one equation byt i still have one unknown:

The Attempt at a Solution

here is what i have:
(ni^2) = (Nd- 5*10^15) * po

Physics news on Phys.org
where ni is the intrinsic carrier concentration and po is the hole concentration. Nd is the donor atoms added, but I don't know what this is. I'm not sure how to proceed. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Related to Solid State Physics- Finding concentration of donor atoms (Nd)

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is the study of the physical properties of solids, such as their structure, behavior, and interactions with electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is the concentration of donor atoms (Nd) determined in solid state physics?

The concentration of donor atoms (Nd) in a solid can be determined using various techniques such as Hall effect measurements, secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS), and deep level transient spectroscopy (DLTS).

3. What is the importance of knowing the concentration of donor atoms in solid state physics?

The concentration of donor atoms is important in determining the electrical and optical properties of a solid. It can also provide valuable information about the material's impurity level and potential applications.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the concentration of donor atoms in solid state physics?

The accuracy of determining the concentration of donor atoms can be affected by factors such as sample preparation, measurement techniques, and impurities present in the material.

5. Can the concentration of donor atoms be controlled in solid state physics?

Yes, the concentration of donor atoms can be controlled through various methods such as doping, annealing, and ion implantation. These techniques allow for precise control over the concentration of donor atoms in a solid material.