Solid sphere Kinetic Energy problem

In summary, a solid sphere was released from rest at the top of a 30° incline of height H. It rolled down without slipping until it reached the bottom, where its center-of-mass had a speed of 65 cm/s. Using the conservation of energy and relevant equations, the height H was found to be 3.02 cm. The problem was solved without using the mass or radius of the sphere.
pfunk22

Homework Statement

A solid sphere is released from rest at the top of an incline of height H and angle 30°. The sphere then rolls down the incline without slipping until it reaches the bottom of the incline, at which point the speed of the center-of-mass of the sphere is found to be 65 cm/s.

What is the value of the height H?

Homework Equations

conservation of energy

KEi + REi + PEi = KEf + REi +PEf

PE=mgh
RE= 1/2*I*w^2
KE= 1/2*m*v^2
where I= 2/5*m*r^2
and v=w*r
w=omega
r=radius
m=mass
v=velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

apparently this is supposed to be solved without mass or the radius of the sphere.
but i can't get all those variables to cancel any help would be awesome.

mgh=1/2*m*(w*r)^2 + 1/2*(2/5mr^2)*(v/r)^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, how did you set up the conservation of energy?
Secondly, did you use the fourth and fifth relevant equation you listed in order to substitute?

As

PEi = KE(linear)f + KE(rotational)f

and ended up with

mgh=1/2*m*(w*r)^2 + 1/2*(2/5mr^2)*(v/r)^2

The kinetic energy term lies the problem. You don't want to end up with neither w nor r, so don't replace v!

Thank you so much..this was really bugging me...ended up with h= 3.02cm.

Seems right to me.

Related to Solid sphere Kinetic Energy problem

1. What is the definition of kinetic energy in the context of a solid sphere?

Kinetic energy in the context of a solid sphere refers to the energy that a solid sphere possesses due to its motion. It is the energy that is required to accelerate the sphere from rest to its current state of motion.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a solid sphere calculated?

The kinetic energy of a solid sphere can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia of the sphere, and ω is the angular velocity of the sphere.

3. How does the radius and mass of a solid sphere affect its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of a solid sphere is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its radius. This means that an increase in either the mass or radius of the sphere will result in an increase in its kinetic energy.

4. Can the kinetic energy of a solid sphere be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a solid sphere cannot be negative. This is because kinetic energy is a measure of the energy of motion, and motion cannot have a negative value. If the sphere is not moving, its kinetic energy will be equal to zero.

5. What are some real-life applications of the solid sphere kinetic energy problem?

The solid sphere kinetic energy problem has various real-life applications, such as in sports, where it is used to calculate the energy of a rolling ball or a rotating disc. It is also used in engineering and mechanics to understand the energy involved in the motion of objects with a spherical shape, such as gears or flywheels.