Solid pulley & mass on an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving torque, force, and friction. The participants use various equations, including the torque equation and force equation, to determine the value of the coefficient of friction. They also discuss the significance of the radius of the cylinder in the problem.
Ampere

Homework Statement

See the image.

Homework Equations

T=Iα, F=ma, I=0.5*m*r^2, Friction=u*N

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the torque equation to get Tension = mcylinder*a/2, and then plugged that into a force equation for the block.

mblockgsin(30)-Tension-Friction=mblock*a

so

mblockgsin(30)-mcylinder*a/2-μmblockgcos(30)=mblock*a

I ended up with μ=0.36. Just wanted to check my answer because I never ended up using the radius of the cylinder (it canceled out), so I was wondering why it was given.

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,338
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you.

I agree with you. The torque on the pulley is supplied by the tension, so
[itex]\tau = T \times R_{pulley}[/itex].​
A point along the circumference must have a linear acceleration equal to the acceleration of the block, so
[itex]\alpha_{pulley} R_{pulley} = a_{block}[/itex].​
And the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder is
[itex]I=\frac12 MR^2[/itex]​
So
[itex]\tau = I\alpha = \left(\frac12 M R^2\right)\left(\frac a R\right) = T \times R[/itex].​
If we solve for the tension, all the R's indeed drop out:
[itex]T=\frac12 M a[/itex],​
exactly like you found.

Last edited:
Yup. I just did this problem again using energy conservation - if the acceleration is 1.6 m/s^2, then in 1 second the block gains 1.6m/s of speed and travels 0.8m while the pulley attains an angular speed of 32 rad/s. Energy conservation gives me the same answer for u so maybe that's why the radius was given, in case you wanted to solve it that way.

Thanks.

Related to Solid pulley & mass on an inclined plane

1. What is a solid pulley and how does it work?

A solid pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel on an axle, with a groove around the circumference. It is used to change the direction of a force, typically to lift or lower an object. The pulley works by distributing the weight of the object evenly, making it easier to lift.

2. How does the mass of a pulley affect its performance?

The mass of a pulley does not affect its performance significantly. However, a heavier pulley may require more force to move and may cause more friction, leading to a slightly less efficient machine.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the force required to move the mass?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the force required to move the mass. This is because the component of the weight acting in the direction of motion increases as the angle increases.

4. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a solid pulley and mass on an inclined plane system?

The mechanical advantage of a solid pulley and mass on an inclined plane can be calculated by dividing the output force (the weight of the object) by the input force (the force applied to the pulley). The mechanical advantage will always be equal to the number of supporting strings or cables attached to the pulley.

5. What are some real-life applications of a solid pulley and mass on an inclined plane?

A solid pulley and mass on an inclined plane system can be found in various applications, such as elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. It is also used in everyday objects like window blinds and curtains. The concept of an inclined plane is also used in ramps and wheelchair access ramps for easier mobility.