Solid property of inert gas- LJ potential

In summary: What was I thinking, the above conversion which I was doing doesn't make any sense.. had I took cube root of that then it would have given me a value in meters.Thanks for all your help.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Hi,
We meet again PF, this time I am little stumped on the following question(link posted down).

Homework Equations

Link to the question

"Question"

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I get the gist of it for part (i) my calculated value for equlibirum separation is about 0.32nm which seems sensible... now carrying on to part two where basically they want me to use the given equation for : The term molar volume is a little vague to me..the value i get on part (i) is about 19.9 cm^3... is that right ? so do I just plug that into the equation or do I convert it into m^3 or simply meter? (this is something i cam confused about).

Thanks
-ibysaiyan

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone please ?

Here's the question :
http://pastebin.com/HazHGdZh

Last edited by a moderator:
ibysaiyan said:
I think I get the gist of it for part (i) my calculated value for equlibirum separation is about 0.32nm which seems sensible... now carrying on to part two where basically they want me to use the given equation for : The term molar volume is a little vague to me..the value i get on part (i) is about 19.9 cm^3... is that right ? so do I just plug that into the equation or do I convert it into m^3 or simply meter? (this is something i cam confused about).

How did you get 19.9 cm^3 for the molar volume?
If you plug in the molar volume in cm^3 into the equation, you get the interatomic distance in cm.

ehild

ehild said:
How did you get 19.9 cm^3 for the molar volume?
If you plug in the molar volume in cm^3 into the equation, you get the interatomic distance in cm.

ehild

On wiki it said : Molar volume = Molecular mass/ density...
so I simply plugged in the values : 39.95 / 1.8 to give me 22.2 cm^3..
but to get the separation distance at equlibirum using : Vm = Na * r0^3 / √2
I converted Molar volume into m^3... i.e (22.2/100)^3 = 10.92*10^-3 (m^3)

There are basically two answers for the separation distance.. one i get is 0.32nm and other using above equation is 2.9nm

So the molar volume is 22.2 cm^3, that is correct. The first question asks you to determine the interatomic distance assuming simple cubic structure. In that case the atoms sit on the vertexes of the unit cells. The unit cells are cubes and there are Na such cubes in the molar volume and the edge of such cub is the cubic root of its volume.
You need to use the other formula when answering the second question.

ehild

ehild said:
So the molar volume is 22.2 cm^3, that is correct. The first question asks you to determine the interatomic distance assuming simple cubic structure. In that case the atoms sit on the vertexes of the unit cells. The unit cells are cubes and there are Na such cubes in the molar volume and the edge of such cub is the cubic root of its volume.
You need to use the other formula when answering the second question.

ehild

Certainly , that is exactly what I have done . For party two using the formula given I get a value of about 8 times larger than part one, is that reasonable ?

ibysaiyan said:
Certainly , that is exactly what I have done . For party two using the formula given I get a value of about 8 times larger than part one, is that reasonable ?

No, it is wrong. Show your calculation in detail.

ehild

ehild said:
No, it is wrong. Show your calculation in detail.

ehild

Sure.

[itex]V_{m}[/itex] = 22.2 [itex]cm^{3}[/itex] which I have converted into m^3 .. (22.2/100)^3 = 10.92*10^-3 m^3

Formula given is:
[itex]V_{m}[/itex] = Na * r0^3 / √2
which gives me about 2.9nm

ibysaiyan said:
[itex]V_{m}[/itex] = 22.2 [itex]cm^{3}[/itex] which I have converted into m^3 .. (22.2/100)^3 = 10.92*10^-3 m^3

That is totally wrong... 1 cm =0.01 m, 1 cm^3=10-6 m3, so 22.2 cm3=22.2x10-6 m.

The correct procedure for the transformation would be

22.2 cm3= 22.2( cm*m/(100 cm))3

ehild

ehild said:
That is totally wrong... 1 cm =0.01 m, 1 cm^3=10-6 m3, so 22.2 cm3=22.2x10-6 m.

The correct procedure for the transformation would be

22.2 cm3= 22.2( cm*m/(100 cm))3

ehild

What was I thinking, the above conversion which I was doing doesn't make any sense.. had I took cube root of that then it would have given me a value in meters.
Thanks for all your help.

Happy new year to you and to the rest of the users.

Happy New Year to you, too.

ehild

Related to Solid property of inert gas- LJ potential

1. What is the solid property of inert gas?

The solid property of inert gas refers to the physical state of an inert gas at a low temperature and high pressure, where it exists in a solid form. This is due to the strong intermolecular forces between the atoms of the inert gas.

2. What is the LJ potential?

The LJ (Lennard-Jones) potential is a mathematical model that describes the interaction between two neutral atoms or molecules. It takes into account both the attractive forces (van der Waals forces) and repulsive forces between the particles.

3. How does the LJ potential affect the solid property of inert gas?

The LJ potential plays a crucial role in determining the solid property of inert gas. At low temperatures and high pressures, the repulsive forces between the inert gas atoms dominate, causing them to pack closely together and form a solid.

4. What is the significance of studying the solid property of inert gas?

Studying the solid property of inert gas is important for understanding the behavior of these gases at extreme conditions, as well as for applications in fields such as cryogenics and materials science.

5. Can the LJ potential be used to describe the solid property of other substances?

Yes, the LJ potential can be used to describe the solid property of many other substances, not just inert gases. It is a widely used model in molecular dynamics simulations and has been found to be accurate for a variety of systems.