Solid plastic scintillator, Pilot B

Your Name]In summary, to calculate the energy loss of protons, deuterons, and alpha particles passing through a 2-mm thickness of solid plastic scintillator (specifically, Polyvinyltoluene or PVT), we will need to determine the composition of the plastic and use the stopping power equation. This equation takes into account the density, atomic and molecular weights, and mean excitation energy of the material to calculate the energy loss per unit distance. By finding the number of moles of PVT in the 2-mm thickness and using its molecular formula, we can determine the necessary values for the equation and calculate the energy loss.
_Andreas

Homework Statement

Calculate the energy loss [tex]\Delta[/tex]T of protons, deuterons and [tex]\alpha[/tex]'s between 10 and 200 MeV in passing through a 2-mm thickness of solid plastic scintillator (the name of the plastic seems to be Pilot B).

Homework Equations

The stopping power equation, which is too long for me to write here, though.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Delta[/tex]T should be (dT/dx)*thickness of scintillator. My main problem, however, is with the scintillator. I have been given it's density (1,03 g/cm^3), but the stopping power requires me to have it's different Z and A values as well as its I values. The obvious problem is to know what the constituents of this plastic are, and how many of each sort of them there are in a "plastic molecule" of this kind. I'm lost!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. In order to calculate the energy loss of protons, deuterons, and alpha particles passing through a 2-mm thickness of solid plastic scintillator, we will need to first determine the composition of the plastic.

After some research, I have found that Pilot B is a type of plastic scintillator known as Polyvinyltoluene (PVT). This plastic is composed of carbon and hydrogen atoms, with a molecular formula of (C9H10)n.

In order to calculate the energy loss, we will need to use the stopping power equation, which is given by:

dE/dx = -K * Z/A * (Z/A + 1) * ln(I/2mV^2)

Where dE/dx is the energy loss per unit distance, K is a constant, Z/A is the atomic number to atomic mass ratio of the material, I is the mean excitation energy, and m and V are the mass and velocity of the particle, respectively.

Since we know the density of PVT (1.03 g/cm^3), we can determine the number of moles of PVT in a 2-mm thickness of the material. From there, we can use the molecular formula to determine the number of carbon and hydrogen atoms in the sample.

Using the atomic and molecular weights of carbon and hydrogen, we can then calculate the Z/A ratio for PVT. The mean excitation energy for this material is approximately 60 eV, which can be found in tables or calculated using the Bethe-Bloch equation.

Once we have all of these values, we can plug them into the stopping power equation and calculate the energy loss for protons, deuterons, and alpha particles passing through the 2-mm thickness of PVT.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any additional clarification.

Related to Solid plastic scintillator, Pilot B

What is a solid plastic scintillator?

A solid plastic scintillator is a type of radiation detector used in scientific research and medical imaging. It is made of a plastic material that emits light when exposed to radiation, allowing scientists to measure and analyze the radiation levels.

How does a solid plastic scintillator work?

A solid plastic scintillator works by using a process called scintillation, where radiation particles interact with the plastic material and cause it to emit light. This light is then detected by a photomultiplier tube or other light-sensitive device, which converts it into an electrical signal that can be measured and analyzed.

What is the purpose of using a Pilot B solid plastic scintillator?

The Pilot B solid plastic scintillator is specifically designed for use in high-energy physics experiments, such as particle accelerators, due to its high sensitivity and fast response time. It is also commonly used in medical imaging and environmental monitoring applications.

How is a solid plastic scintillator different from other types of radiation detectors?

Unlike gas-filled detectors, a solid plastic scintillator does not require high voltage to operate and can be easily molded into different shapes and sizes. It also has a higher sensitivity and faster response time compared to other solid state detectors, making it useful for detecting a wide range of radiation levels.

What are some common uses of the Pilot B solid plastic scintillator?

The Pilot B solid plastic scintillator is commonly used in particle physics experiments, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy, and environmental monitoring. It can also be used in homeland security applications, such as detecting radioactive materials at borders and ports.